• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Beeswax and Olive Oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some, not quite half a pound. The wife eats allot of cheese and some of it comes with a layer of bees wax on the outside so I had her save it for me instead of throwing it away.

The micro probably works well because there is no ignition source. I'm not advocating to do it there or not, that, will have to be up to the individual. I like the idea someone had of heating up the oil and then putting wax in. seems plenty safe to me.
As a kid I got into candle making and found out quick you needed a double boiler. Even tried it again being more careful but that of coarse didn't work either.

"it is resting on the bottom shelf of the fridge as we speak."

Why in the fridge?

Stuff gets hot down here, figured the fridge was the safest place for it. Or, that is where I might actually remember were I put it? They say your eyesight goes second, I can’t remember what goes first.

The wife eats allot of cheese and some of it comes with a layer of bees wax on the outside so I had her save it for me instead of throwing it away.

Most cheese wax is paraffin based, a mix of paraffin and microcrystalline, both petroleum based. The wax is also colored with food grade colors. Beeswax has its own smell and flavor that be imparted on the cheese, not always something that is desired.

I use a pork & beans can that I attached a wood handle to. I I fill a cooking pot half full with water and place my pork & beans can with the bees wax into the water - heat up the water - melt the bees wax - done.
P1020101.JPG

The micro probably works well because there is no ignition source. I'm not advocating to do it there or not, that, will have to be up to the individual. I like the idea someone had of heating up the oil and then putting wax in. seems plenty safe to me.

I use old musket cap tins, fill half with sweet oil, ad a few chunks of beeswax till the oil level is just below the top of the tin, then heat it. As the oil warms up it will melt the beeswax.
A cast iron pan is perfect for holding the can off the LOW flame and acts like a "hot plate"

it can be used as a pan lube, dip lube, patch lube, a paste lube like grease, lip balm, wood finish, leather treatment, water proofer, Endless possible uses!!!

I have melted mine before in the winter on top of my wood stove in an steel / tin an the type that peas come's in. a real hard metal can. but as said KEEP YOURE EYE ON IT, and take it off when it is to your liking. and if you over heat it will burn and stink.
I love the smell of burning beeswax! I keep hives in my yard so I can have all the honey and wax I want. I use the wax to lubricate saw blades, make screws go into wood easier, melt it with mineral spirits and linseed oil for tool handles.. there are a million uses besides the candles that smell so good. It burns much hotter and cleaner than paraffin. I refine mine (to get bee bits and crud out. By boiling it with plain water then pouring it all through cheesecloth. The cloth can then be saved as a great camp fire starter.

I love the smell of burning beeswax! I keep hives in my yard so I can have all the honey and wax I want. I use the wax to lubricate saw blades, make screws go into wood easier, melt it with mineral spirits and linseed oil for tool handles.. there are a million uses besides the candles that smell so good. It burns much hotter and cleaner than paraffin. I refine mine (to get bee bits and crud out. By boiling it with plain water then pouring it all through cheesecloth. The cloth can then be saved as a great camp fire starter.
I whole heartily agree with you. it is sent from the GODS! for us too use. and the bees are the conduit.

oh! I got the wrong end! story of my life!
After striking out finding any locally at the crafty stores, I web-searched and found it from the china-mart. Free shipping to my house for a pound of the little beads. Should be a lifetime supply for my needs, it is resting on the bottom shelf of the fridge as we speak.
thank's for the reply.

Back