• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bee's Wax

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A number of folks like to eat honey in the comb (eat comb and all). I haven't looked lately but it used to be sold in stores right next to the pure honey.
Yes - but beeswax on biscuits? (I understood they meant honey, though their responses were still discussing beeswax).

One can still find jars containing comb. I recall there is a belief comb keeps the honey from crystallizing - not certain if this is true or not.

A number of folks like to eat honey in the comb (eat comb and all). I haven't looked lately but it used to be sold in stores right next to the pure honey.
A lot of my customers DO spread it on hot biscuits. Or you can just chew on the wax.
[URL='https://s1281.photobucket.com/user/Swamp99999/media/001_zpskqumqkzv.jpg.html'] [/URL]

Used to be able to get at a hardware store in the plumbing section. I believe a toilet seal is beeswax, too.
Toilet rings used to be beeswax and perhaps you can still find one. Last time I looked though they were all some kind of synthetic now. Best bet is to buy a 3-lb chunk from a Bee-keeper if you have one locally.

Below is a link to Beeswax from Beekeepers. Key thing in getting it from them is free shipping. Other places may have it for less until they add their shipping charges. Also check out E-bay. Bare in mind that any "raw" beeswax you buy will require you to melt and filter it before you use it. Not a huge deal, you just melt it and pour it through some folded cheese cloth, but you do loose some to the cloth and it is messy. Buying it already filtered is much easier to deal with.

https://beeswaxfrombeekeepers.com/product/beeswax-bricks/?v=7516fd43adaa

Twisted_1in66
Dan

How far back would you need to go to find a toilet seat made of beeswax? And would it say so on the package?

So if a person helps tear down a 50-60 year old house, the plumbing under the toilet might be beeswax? Would the toilet ring still be intact?

wasps are just a**holes. they don't make honey, they don't die when they sting, not sure they really have a use except to some guys for the paper they make.
toilet bowl seals make really good lube for screws when driving them thru hardwoods
Wasp's don't make honey?

So if a person helps tear down a 50-60 year old house, the plumbing under the toilet might be beeswax? Would the toilet ring still be intact?

Yep, might be if it wasn't replaced. However the last thing I want to do is source my beeswax from 50 year old toilets. :eek:

It's easier to buy a nice clean product.

However the last thing I want to do is source my beeswax from 50 year old toilets. :eek:
LOL!!:D
The image I got was some guy hovering around the outside of a 1969 house demo,, waiting for the day crew to leave and dark to come on,, just to fly in,, rip the toilet,, and grab the ring!!
"YEAH!! I finally got some Bee's Wax for free!!"
:p,,

Local bee keeper on craigslist had wax @ $5.00 a lb. I thought that was nuts expensive, seems I must connect with him and grab some!

How does one clean beeswax
?

NOPE as a matter of fact the worst place to buy beeswax is at a craft store. One of the most overpriced items in the store.
$5.00 a pound from a local producer is a bargain. I've always found that if it's "raw" beeswax, then you simply get a disposable "loaf pan" in the baking section of the super market, put pieces of the wax into that, and melt it in the oven at about 190 - 200 degrees. Then remove and let it cool, and the nasty bits will have settled on the bottom. Pop the wax "ingot" free, and scrap off the nasty bits. Voila.

I like to buy in bulk from eBay. You can find in February or March, folks that will give you good package deals. I can usually get some for under $7 a pound including the shipping, and it's been filtered already. I put aside what I need then I sell the rest for cost at the local market fair at the end of April. It doesn't stay on my trade blanket for long at less than 1/2 the price when it's bought from the craft store.

LD

Could beeswax be stretched by mixing in a little paraffin?Do beeeswax and paraffin even mix? I realize paraffin is a petroleum product and has no real reason to be around MLs. But I'm not talking about alot of product maybe 10 - 20%. Just curious!

Could beeswax be stretched by mixing in a little paraffin?Do beeeswax and paraffin even mix? I realize paraffin is a petroleum product and has no real reason to be around MLs. But I'm not talking about alot of product maybe 10 - 20%. Just curious!
Yeah, it can. Although the motivating reason rather escapes me. Would one do that as an economy measure? I don't know the price of paraffin. I have a sneaking suspicion that the savings would be next to none.

Not really economics but more of a "what -do-I-do-with-it" sort of thing.I was recently given several packages of Gulf Paraffin, the canning stuff. I was kind of wondering what to do with it.

Back