• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bees Wax uses and recipes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently acquired several pounds of bees wax from a co worker.

I could use some recipes for lubes and ideas for other uses.

Thanks

I make lube by mixing/melting it with olive oil.
Less oil for summer more for winter....makes good hand lotion to if you have dry hands. once it cools you can test the consistency and adjust by re-melting it again as needed. it's not socket science.....
Its also good for candles, lubricating saw blades and screw threads, sewing, waterproofing, etc......

colorado clyde said:
Less oil for summer more for winter....makes good hand lotion to if you have dry hands. once it cools you can test the consistency and adjust by re-melting it again as needed. it's not socket science.....
Its also good for candles, lubricating saw blades and screw threads, sewing, waterproofing, etc......

Mine is made with whale oil or peanut oil. I make into cakes that I rub on large pieces of my patch cloth then store in zip lock baggies.
As CC mentioned, many other uses. Valuable stuff.

I'd like to try it. I have a beekeeper friend so I have a good source. You say you vary the mix but what is a good starting ratio and which olive oil? Virgin olive oil sounds like a good start!

Try a ratio of 70/30 (70 wax to 30 olive oil) to start.
I like the more refined olive oil because it take the heat better and doesn't affect the wonderful honey smell.
The important thing is to melt gently on very low heat. and in very small amounts to start.

As a patch lube it lasts a long time.

Once it cools you will know what you have and can adjust from there.

If you use olive oil go with the cheap stuff. The virgin has more water in it, tastes better, but the hot pressed is better for lubes. :idunno:

I tried lanoline butter some years ago and it works well but stinks. We had a wool mill here and a byproduct is of course pure lanoline which they sold by the barrel, but is widely available in pure or anhydrous form. Never tried mixing it with beeswax but I might. I'm sure someone has!

DeeDubya said:
I tried lanoline butter some years ago and it works well but stinks. We had a wool mill here and a byproduct is of course pure lanoline which they sold by the barrel, but is widely available in pure or anhydrous form. Never tried mixing it with beeswax but I might. I'm sure someone has!

I does that very thing. A little bit of lanolin goes a long way as a beneficial adjunct to lubes.

To clarify!....By refined olive oil I meant the stuff that is usually sold as extra light oil. Not the extra virgin stuff.

:applause:

+1 for all of the above.

I like equal parts olive oil and beeswax for summer, and one part beeswax and two parts olive oil for winter....and agreed use the cheapest "olive oil" on the shelf.

Cold and chapped hands, chapped cheekbones or lips, moc dressing, lock grease, patch lube...yeah works well.

OH and I bought some food grade wintergreen and used 1/4 wax and 3/4 salt free lard, and made some "bore butter" for a friend.

I prefer it straight and a bit thicker. (It's cheaper than over the counter stuff, and I've got a good amount of Scottish in me = frugality)

LD

Bees wax can also be used as a gunstock finish. Mix boiled linseed oil with a equal volume of turpentine then add enough melted bees wax to produce a cloudy solution. Exact proportions aren't critical. Apply it to a stock let it dry awhile then buff out. I apply about three coats this way. On top of that I apply a bees wax paste made by adding a little turpentine to melted bees wax. The ratio can be varied to produce a paste as soft or hard as you like. Use a rag to apply to a stock' then buff like hell until there is no stickiness left. Bees wax changes its chemical structure when buffed out and makes a tough finish. Bees wax as a finish substance goes way, way back. There's no reason it can't be considered HC/PC.

I pound of bees wax and one wax toilet seal ring melted together and poured into small dixie cups makes the best bowstring wax. One batch makes a lifetime supply for you and all your friends.

Double boil the wax, as in, put a smaller bowl into a bigger bowl that has water already in it. Melt the wax in the smaller bowl. Don't be to attached to the smaller bowl though as what ever you concoct will be difficult to clean.

It can and in most cases should be used as a bullet mold lubricant.

As flux has already been mentioned using a small pea size pill dropped into the lead melting pot after your lead has melted will aid in bringing out some impurities.

Like olive oil, so many uses.

Latest posts

Back