• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Been bitten by a smoothie bug...now what?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) Remember, many NW Trade guns were sold (In the White)and used by Indians. Also, a poor sparking lock can be made workable by a pro, an excellent lock will not spark so well if the idiot installing the flint, priming, loading etc, doesn't know what he is doing. (from experience):redface:

Let me know if I am wrong here. A gun that is in the white would be just that, capable of being fired if so desired. The only work would be final sanding, staining, finish and browning of parts.

Correct, the shiny barrels on the brown bess are in the white, but buffed to a high luster...

The finish on the metal parts still need done, but the gun is very much capable of shooting...

This is really not good. Got my email back from TVM. I was really expecting them to tell me they could get me something....oh....say...a month at the latest. They have a 10-11 month wait! This is so not good. Know what? The cure for getting bit by a smoothie bug is worse than the bite.

Joe

:cry:

:hmm:Here are a couple of things to consider. 1)My experience with a smoothie with round ball is it is not as accurate with light/medium powder charges (60 grs or less FFg)than with heavier charges(90 gr + FFg).Especially over 25 yds. Rifle is a different critter, & Shot loads are different, can be shot well with light loads. 2) a 24" barrel will not completely burn all the powder in the heavy load, shot or ball. :shocking: Perhaps not even in a 30" barrel. 36" ? Don't know. maybe FFFg ????. I shoot a .62 French fusil and an English fowler, 42" in barrel, but am not any expert. Next one will have a 46" or 48" barrel.
They shot Fg in smoothbores, they musta had a good reason. :m2c:

My 20 gauge shoots some wicked patterns with 3F, lousy with 2F.

:results:

Joe- There is a North Star West Canoe gun for sale on Guns America for $495. Just type guns america into your browser window and you'll go there. Look under muzzleloading modern and replica rifles. It's the top gun. The categories are in alphabet order, so you'll have no problem finding it.

joe have you ruled out a caywood smoothbore they look real nice any comments on them

Jim I did not rule out Kay Wood guns. However I did buy a TVM kit here locally. I just finished it. I am very pleased with the way it finished up.
dungun.jpg

I wish I could tell you how it shoots, but cant, maybe in a couple of months.

Thanks to all who helped me through this terrible bite.

Joe Yanta

I got bit by a smoothie bug that cant be cured. The last thing I'm thinking about before I go to sleep is a smoothie. The first thing in the morning the same thing. I find myself searching the web for smoothies most of the day when I have other things I should be doing.

The species of the bug that bit me is a Trade Gun. I know where there is a TVM Trade Gun Kit in 28 ga, but I want a walnut stock. I really like the shortened Trade Gun called "canoe" that a couple of sites show.

How much difference in accuracy do you think the short 24" barrel of a canoe would make compared to the full length?

If anyone has a canoe, how do you like it?

Anyone like the 24 bore (.55 dia. shoot .535 ball)?

Comments will be appreciated, thanks

Joe
Fun guns

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1675623968706.jpg
    FB_IMG_1675623968706.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230530_203017.jpg
    IMG_20230530_203017.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230716_121458~2.jpg
    IMG_20230716_121458~2.jpg