• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SOLD Beaver Tail skinning knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Two Feathers

62 Cal.
MLF Sponsor
Reaction score
Howdy folks, Two Feathers here:

This time I’ve got something really different. It’s a Beaver Tail Skinning knife. The price is $90.00 USD$'s shipped to you in asny of the 50 united states.

The brief history of the Mountain Man Fur trapper era is described here. This came from the University of Northern Colorado’s archives.

“The fur trade west of the Mississippi River began in the mid-1700s. At first, the Europeans and Americans involved in the trade did not intend to hunt and trap the beaver and other fur-bearing animals themselves. Rather, they hoped that the Indians in the region would supply the furs in exchange for guns, knives, and traps. By the early 1800s, however, they realized that the Indians could not (or would not) produce enough furs to satisfy the demand for fur in Europe and America.

The companies involved in the fur trade began in the 1820s to employ their own hunters and trappers. These hunters and trappers lived year-round in the mountains, close to their work. The life was hard and it was dangerous. “

This is my design of a Beaver Tail Skinning knife. No…it was NOT taken from any Museum photos. The knife is 6.5” long overall. The razor sharp blade is 3.625”(3-5/8”) long by 1.125”(1-1/8”) wide and .093” (3/32”) thick. It’s made of 1095 high carbon steel.

The blade is slightly convex ground for a PC/HA appearance, and it’s rounded for ideal skinning work. It has NO point to pierce a valuable Beaver hide while skinning. The rounded blade is sharp about 90% of the way up around the front. I designed it to make skinning super-fast, for quantity without waste. No need to worry about piercing an internal organ. It’ll “open up” a kill just like any other knife. Simply use the rounded front to make a quick slit up the belly, and you’re off and runnin’, no concerns about cutting open the stomach. That’s why my rounded tip is ideal.

The Oak handle scales are held on with (2) 1/8” iron pins.

The unique sheath is made entirely of 5 oz. vegetable tanned tooling leather. It has a folded belt loop that will allow for a 2” wide belt. The belt loop is riveted down on the rear with 2 Antique finished, Brass rivets. The front cover of the sheath is REAL tanned Beaver, “tail leather”. It’s folded down over the top of the vegetable tanned front and sewn to keep it secure while removing the knife. The sheath has a welt sewn in for added stitch protection. The entire sheath is all hand saddle stitched for years of hard use on the trap line, in the skinning shed, or anywhere you prefer to use it?

This one will make you stand out at your next shoot, encampment, or Rendezvous. Your buddies will all want to know where you got this unique little knife, please tell them.

Don’t let the size of this little rascal fool you. Believe me, the nose/tip, is just as shaving sharp as any portion of the blade, I test every knife for sharpness before it leaves my shop. It will skin your critters, cut your patches, carve your food, whittle a hot dog fork or ten stake, any of the other things you need a knife this size to do. Granted, it’s not a 10 inch Bowie, but it’ll sure make you think it is!

While this design may be a very LOOSE adaptation of a Beaver Tail Skinning knife from history, it WILL set you apart from others in your Fur Trapper Era Living History Village; encampment, or on the firing line, as a patch knife!

As always; this is a Two Feathers knife, and with that reputation for quality, it will last a lifetime. This knife will outlast you; your kids, and their kids. It will be a piece of history that you can proudly pass on.

I ship/sell to Canada, but all prices are in USD$ to the 50 United states. Shipping outside of the US is costly. Prices will vary accordingly.

I prefer PayPal; and I CANNOT stress this enough, Please, please, please, use the PayPal friends option when sending funds! I also accept postal and bank money orders. MO’s will add 1 week for travel time. I ship same day as funds are received, the exceptions are Federal holidays, Sundays, PO hours, and severe weather.

If interested PM me here. As always, thanks for looking.

God bless:

Two Feathers

Attachments

• Finished Beaver Tail Skinner 002edited 30.jpg
    Finished Beaver Tail Skinner 002edited 30.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 289
  • Finished Beaver Tail Skinner 003 edited 30.jpg
    Finished Beaver Tail Skinner 003 edited 30.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 230
  • Finished Beaver Tail Skinner 005 edited 30.jpg
    Finished Beaver Tail Skinner 005 edited 30.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 277
  • Finished Beaver Tail Skinner 006 edited 30.jpg
    Finished Beaver Tail Skinner 006 edited 30.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 296
  • Finished Beaver Tail Skinner 007 edited 30.jpg
    Finished Beaver Tail Skinner 007 edited 30.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 288
  • Finished Beaver Tail Skinner 008 edited 30.jpg
    Finished Beaver Tail Skinner 008 edited 30.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 243
  • Finished Beaver Tail Skinner 009 edited 30.jpg
    Finished Beaver Tail Skinner 009 edited 30.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 243
  • Finished Beaver Tail Skinner 014 edited 30.jpg
    Finished Beaver Tail Skinner 014 edited 30.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 303
  • Finished Beaver Tail Skinner 015 edited 30.jpg
    Finished Beaver Tail Skinner 015 edited 30.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 274
Glock21user:
Thank you for taking your time to post this.
I'm hoping someone sees and appreciates the uniqueness of this knife, and likes it enough to buy it?
I know it's NOT a PC/HA verified item, but I think it's different enough for the collector of "unique" things to find the worth in it?
Thank you again, and for your support.
God bless:
Two Feathers

I can't buy that knife now, but I will have one. I think #1 that the shape of the blade will work very well for skinning most any critter, and #2 the added real beaver tail leather sheath is a real plus! As a trapper myself, I can see the real value of your knife. I can't imagine it not selling quicker! Better git a nuther one goin! IMHO
If I was going to have one made for myself, I would want the knife to sit a little lower in sheath, a little over the blade over handle. Just for knife retention. Hope I don't sound critical, just my humble opinion. I really like the knife though.

I can't buy that knife now, but I will have one. I think #1 that the shape of the blade will work very well for skinning most any critter, and #2 the added real beaver tail leather sheath is a real plus! As a trapper myself, I can see the real value of your knife. I can't imagine it not selling quicker! Better git a nuther one goin! IMHO
If I was going to have one made for myself, I would want the knife to sit a little lower in sheath, a little over the blade over handle. Just for knife retention. Hope I don't sound critical, just my humble opinion. I really like the knife though.
Blaze:
Thank ya. buddy. I appreciate your comments; advice, and knowledge. I was a fur trapper back in the 70's. Mostly Red and Gray Fox, Beaver, and muskrat, with a few coon and the occasional Bobcat thrown in for good measure. So I designed the knife to be most efficient based on what I knew worked for ME. The real Beaver Tail was just an added novelty concept. Sort of that "Poke in the eye with a sharp stick," thing...so to speak.

I'm just about to start another one with a deeper sheath. Although the knife in this one is a pretty decent fit, I see your concerns, so my next one will have a deeper "pouch" style sheath. Something that "swallows up" the knife with just maybe 2 inches of handle sticking out? But this time the real Beaver Tail will be natural Black! I thought the Tobacco color might look cool, but it looks more like a piece of vulcanized rubber. o_O

I know this is NOT your standard Hunting knife design, but like I said, I designed this knife based on what I remember to be the things I wanted in a knife when I was trapping. I know it's NOT your conventional knife design, so I guess there really is room for improvement...even on something from 250 years ago? ;):thumb:

Sorry for the editorial, but I wanted to acknowledge your kind comments and experience. Thank you.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Two Feathers, thanks for your thoughtful response. I think the black beaver tail sheath would be perfect! Skinning a deer after it hung with hide on would be easier with the beaver tail knife design. For those not sure about it, don't knock it til you try it! A small knife with pointed tip still is handy in places but the rounded tip is really helpful. For one knife applications I prefer a drop point especially for gutting ( less punctured stomachs). JMHO. Others I'm sure have their preferences.
im anxious to see the new one with black sheath!
Take Care, Blaze.

Two Feathers, thanks for your thoughtful response. I think the black beaver tail sheath would be perfect! Skinning a deer after it hung with hide on would be easier with the beaver tail knife design. For those not sure about it, don't knock it til you try it! A small knife with pointed tip still is handy in places but the rounded tip is really helpful. For one knife applications I prefer a drop point especially for gutting ( less punctured stomachs). JMHO. Others I'm sure have their preferences.
im anxious to see the new one with black sheath!
Take Care, Blaze.
Blaze:
Thank you. You're very welcome. I appreciate any and all input. It helps me make a better product.
I have a very nice drop point listed. It's the one with the Spalted Maple handle? or whatever folks want to call it? :dunno:
I agree, that the Black Tail (which is supposed to arrive today) will look much better. I'm not sure about the overall size of the knife. I always thought small was good?
The round "point," tip, is what I figured would be best for getting a hide off in a hurry without damage to the organs or the hide?
Help me stay within the realm of practicality, convenience, and reality, on this next knife buddy. Suggestions are appreciated, maybe NOT always taken, but appreciated just the same.
I just sent 3 pouches to a customer up your way... Hartland. Not sure if that's in the UP or not?
Thanks.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Ames:
After noting the lack of interest, and having a Conversation with a friend and fellow trapper, I'm considering not making another one. It's pointless to waste my time and money to craft a specialty knife and a "novelty" sheath, (tanned Beaver tail) isn't cheap, since apparently, no one is interested. No disrespect, but I have other places to put my experience, time, and material resources.
Thank you for your comment though, much appreciated.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Two Feathers,
Oh ye of little faith!....lol....look about you my friend, Ames has expressed interest in beavertail skinner, " black and a little deeper in sheath". I concur with Ames, I think it will be a nice looking knife, sheath....very functional for skinn'n!

Trapperman.com is another trapping website I use.

Good Luck Sir!

Blaze

Blaze:
Thank you. I didn't take it quite like that? But I DID say, I very much appreciated Ames' interest in the listing.
I did look up a trapping website, but I'm not sure they'd like me signing up just to sell knives there? Most websites DO NOT like you running a "Store" on their website! I can do it here because I'm a vendor and I pay for that privilege. Even if I paid to sell on a trapping website, it's very unlikely that it would be cost effective enough just to sell a knife or 2? Thanks again for the comments from you and Ames! We'll see how it goes? Lord knows I have enough 1095 and leather to make another one, but I doubt that it would sell?
God bless:
Two Feathers

One of you guys will be glad you bought THIS knife. I just used its sister knife on my deer. These things skin 'em out with no effort. Just like cutting soft butter!
Highly recommended design. :thumb:
Ames … I lived in Mexico nearly seven years and loved every minute … but USA is home. Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back