• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beaver fat for lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer12345

40 Cal
Reaction score
I shot a beaver on Saturday, last day of our small game season. This sucker was over 40 pounds and FAT. As I broke it down tonight, I got a lot of the fat off of it and threw it in a Ziploc. Before I toss it, I thought I would ask: anyone use this as minie ball or conical bullet lube, perhaps mixed with beeswax? If it would work, waste not, want not.

Let us know how fast it goes rancid.
I can still smell (in my mind) the possum grease from one I skinned and tanned in the early 80's.
The leather was glove soft, but the stink...
Beaver fat does not stink per say when it goes rancid, I use plenty of beaver meat on my trapline and always find it smelling sweet even after I let it "Cure " before freezing but that could be just me. I will try and make some this spring as well as I need to get some more beaver for my Quota.

Beaver Roast! Sounds Great!

I can’t see why the rendered fat wouldn’t work.
Hopefully a Mountain Lion won’t smell You... just sayin’.

I shoot ball and have little experience with conicals. I know boys that shoot better then me might find a difference between different lubes. In my shooting lard, deer tallow, mink oil work well. When I tried conical in a ‘63 contract rifle’ and crisco worked well for me.

. Before I toss it, I thought I would ask: anyone use this as minie ball or conical bullet lube, perhaps mixed with beeswax? If it would work, waste not, want not.

I can't imagine you won't find a good use. I am amazed how my efforts at patch lube have also made me a better boot dressing, hand cream (Don't tell my wife it's just my patch lube with a little Tea Tree Oil, she thinks it's great) I have even been experimenting with a elk/bear based lube in my AK47 :thumb:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back