• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Beautiful day at the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11th corps

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Two cap guns, both in .45 caliber. One of these is a CVA, I suspect the other was one of the kits once sold at places like K Mart for less then $30. Both were owned by my Dad, long gone. I had not fired either in years, wasn't sure they would even ignite caps. the top pistol is the CVA. It has strong rifling. the lower one at first looked like it could be a smoothbore, but appears to have shallow rifling.
The CVA fired on the first cap, and all subsequent shots.
The other generally needed at least two tries to pop caps, and even then sometimes did not fire the main charge. It did not have any sights.
I used 30 grains of 777 under .440 round balls patched with T/C bore butter coating.

Both would get the job done, one more reliably then the other. Head shots, one each.

I even managed to knock down steel targets with both, from about 10 yards. The CVA was shooting about a foot high at that distance. Need to do some filing on the front sight.

A glorious early spring day here in the Heartland.

006.jpg
003.jpg
005.jpg

Your top pistol looks like a CVA mountain pistol. I have one in 50 caliber. Excellent shooter. My pistol is right on the money at 25 yards. Maybe take some shots at distance before you file down the front sight. Not sure what your other gun is but it looks great.
Always fun to get out to the range. Good shooting.

Nice pistols ! Top is the Mountain Pistol as mentioned. The bottom looks like CVA’s Tower Pistol.
I’d move the target out to 25 yards and shoot the Mountain Pistol. Your powder charge is about right, somewhere between 20-35 grains of powder. :thumb:

Next up at the range will be my pepperbox.
I have only had it out once, and it was in the cold winter months.

001.jpg

This was another of Pop's kit guns. However it was still in the box unassembled. I put it together-a fun simple winter project. My first shots with it were an experience.

Back