• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

beat by a little girl

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
We had our monthly match on Sunday and I was feeling pretty good about my shooting. My scores on for each target were in the forty's which should give me a high aggerate. My buddy brought a 16 year old girl with him that had never shot a muzzle loader and only a 22 rifle on a couple of occasion's. He was busy teaching her how to load and mentoring her at the firing line so once she seemed to be on track I went over and spelled him so he could start on his targets. She seems to be a pleasant gal and handled the rifle well. Loading the rifle herself and clearly understanding safety measures I started back on my targets while we both kept an eye on her. All us old men finished our targets and began to gather to talk and observe her shooting. No one was concerned about time and allowed her to shoot. The last target she shot was a hand drawn turkey head that some of us older fellows could only see the 1/4" black dot that is the eye. Her first shot centered that dot! Seems she shoots air rifle competition and prefers a smaller bulls eye. This being a blanket shoot we all sat around learning a bit more as the scores were totaled. Her team had won state that spring and had expected to go to the nationals till the virus closed things down. This was the first chance to shoot anything and was a great treat for her. Should be as she took first beating me by two points! I've been robbed! 🤢
Hope to see her next month.

Great story, Phil! I'm glad to hear of young folks getting into the game and enjoying it!

I might add that it takes a real man to admit being beaten by a little girl. Good for you!

Notchy Bob

Don't feel bad a few years ago a friends 15 year old daughter beat me in a woods walk.Oh well she had fun she's in her twenties now still shooting.😀

The Female body is better suited physically to hold steadier and aim more precisely then men. My wife and daughter once shown how to operate any of my weapons safely are very proficient and surprisingly accurate. This is with very minimal practice.

The best shot of all the kids we worked with at Scout camp was the 11yo daughter of a Scoutmaster. She couldn’t hold a musket and had never shot anything other than a 22lr. I started her with a White Mountain carbine and she was soon outshooting all the other kids. She wanted to try the musket so I set up the bench for her and she was shooting the support wires off the targets and giggling every time a target dropped to the ground. Not that anyone was egging her on or something.......:rolleyes:

In Ancient Times (pre-Ted Kennedy), when we were too dumb to shoot at our friends, public high schools had rifle teams as one of their sports. In competition the girls tended to beat the guys. Whatever advantages their lovely bodies may have, women are clearly better at paying attention to fine detail than are men.
In General, of course.

Great story ! My daughter was a natural with a pistol. She could hit targets out to about eighty yards with no problems. She would load her Thompson Patriot and shoot, all the while sporting polished fingers nails, perfect makeup and lipstick, being very careful not to get smudged from the black powder residue. :cool:

The Female body is better suited physically to hold steadier and aim more precisely then men. My wife and daughter once shown how to operate any of my weapons safely are very proficient and surprisingly accurate. This is with very minimal practice.

I agree. But male ego also has much to do with it. I used to teach firearms at a police academy. One of the groups of cadets that came through included my "then" girlfriend. She became the top shooter, putting all the guys to shame. My squeeze used to shoot with me on occasion, although it's been a very long time. She was, well, simply amazing, especially since, unlike myself, she'd not been raised around guns.

My wife is a pretty good shot as long as the recoil is kept moderate, she seems to be smart enough to avoid the big kickers that I enjoy. Sometimes it seems like she just might be pretty smart.

I handed my wife a pellet pistol and set up some cans on a wall at 25 feet. She had never fired anything. She put them all down, one shot each. . She is great with a .45 cal. cap lock rifle

We had our monthly match on Sunday and I was feeling pretty good about my shooting. My scores on for each target were in the forty's which should give me a high aggerate. My buddy brought a 16 year old girl with him that had never shot a muzzle loader and only a 22 rifle on a couple of occasion's. He was busy teaching her how to load and mentoring her at the firing line so once she seemed to be on track I went over and spelled him so he could start on his targets. She seems to be a pleasant gal and handled the rifle well. Loading the rifle herself and clearly understanding safety measures I started back on my targets while we both kept an eye on her. All us old men finished our targets and began to gather to talk and observe her shooting. No one was concerned about time and allowed her to shoot. The last target she shot was a hand drawn turkey head that some of us older fellows could only see the 1/4" black dot that is the eye. Her first shot centered that dot! Seems she shoots air rifle competition and prefers a smaller bulls eye. This being a blanket shoot we all sat around learning a bit more as the scores were totaled. Her team had won state that spring and had expected to go to the nationals till the virus closed things down. This was the first chance to shoot anything and was a great treat for her. Should be as she took first beating me by two points! I've been robbed! 🤢
Hope to see her next month.
great story, my oldest daughter shot small bore in high school and college. i sure would not have wanted to shoot against her.

That's a good story and rather familiar. I could always outshoot my wife with MLs because she is tiny and most of the BP guns are too heavy or awkward. (She is deadly with a Ruger MK II and a CZ75b.) Then I found her an old Dixie Gun Works Cub in 40 caliber: short, light, little recoil and accurate. Yeah, she's good with it. It's always better when we can shoot together.

Jeff

I have coached a Women's Shooting Day at a local club for about ten years. All novices, many first-timers. I do the .22 range, with single shot average bolt .22s. After ten minutes of instruction, most of the new women shooters were remarkable. No egos, no "cowboy" or "gansta" moves. Just followed direction, applied the basics, and hit targets. I have found women to be much easier to teach/coach.

ADK Bigfoot

I have coached a Women's Shooting Day at a local club for about ten years. All novices, many first-timers. I do the .22 range, with single shot average bolt .22s. After ten minutes of instruction, most of the new women shooters were remarkable. No egos, no "cowboy" or "gansta" moves. Just followed direction, applied the basics, and hit targets. I have found women to be much easier to teach/coach.

ADK Bigfoot
Having coached Boy Scouts rifle merit badge and literally hundreds of young lady’s and men at youth field days. The ladies were much more coachable, and soon shot with or better than the boys. They obviously were willing to listen better, and apply techniques. One young lady definitely comes to mind who cleanly shot the center out of a clay bird, while it was spinning. She caught it at the momentary pause when the twisted string and gravity equalize. She was one of the reluctant shooters who was intimidated by the flash and boom of a flintlock. After three shots and two broken birds this was the result of her fourth shot. I still have the picture that I gave her parents copies of her holding the ring that remained of that clay bird she took home. BJH

Back