• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Beards and Mustaches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude got it workin'...

!!!!hitov.jpeg

Me back at the first of the year. Went for two weeks without shaving and the 5 y.o. granddaughter asked me not to shave it, so thought I would leave it for a while. Picked up the hat at an estate sale for $20. Limited edition 3X Stetson made for Colt back in the 70s almost new. It had the crossed sabers patch originally, but the bullion had turned green. I couldn't remove the glue from the original so I found the CSA at Blockade Runners. The way things are these days, you couldn't wear it to town without being well heeled, which I usually am, just don't need any more trouble. I did wear it to the Piggly Wiggly grocery once just to see the reaction. Amazing how many compliments I got and also received a "Hooray for Dixie" from several old timers. I imagine my GG Granddaddy who fought with the 44th Alabama was looking down and smiling.
IMG_20220209_093720_848-01_edited.jpeg

San Felipe de Austin in Texas? At Stephen F. Austin's First Colony? What event was held there? What did I miss?
Nobody tells me nothing...

Ha! I just assumed you knew cuz you do all those other ones. It was the grand opening of the visitors center and Austin’s Birthday. I’ll PM you the contact info for next year’s event.

RM

Me back at the first of the year. Went for two weeks without shaving and the 5 y.o. granddaughter asked me not to shave it, so thought I would leave it for a while. Picked up the hat at an estate sale for $20. Limited edition 3X Stetson made for Colt back in the 70s almost new. It had the crossed sabers patch originally, but the bullion had turned green. I couldn't remove the glue from the original so I found the CSA at Blockade Runners. The way things are these days, you couldn't wear it to town without being well heeled, which I usually am, just don't need any more trouble. I did wear it to the Piggly Wiggly grocery once just to see the reaction. Amazing how many compliments I got and also received a "Hooray for Dixie" from several old timers. I imagine my GG Granddaddy who fought with the 44th Alabama was looking down and smiling.View attachment 162768
Your story about your granddaughter asking you not to shave kind of reminds me of the young woman, Grace Bedell, and the letter she sent to Abraham Lincoln. He was clean shaven up to just after his nomination but she urged him to grow a beard. When he received the letter from Grace he decided to grow a beard and the rest is history.
Oh I'm not too old of an oldtimer but "Hooray for Dixie".

Last edited:
My upper lip has never had a razor on it. I worked as a FF in a big city in a very busy company. I only needed to shave once a week to pass inspection. I had short hair since the first big fire I fought. The stink of the smoke from the fatal fire turned my stomach.

Short hair it has been for the last 43 years. I keep the stash trimmed short. Still shave just once a week. My son had a full beard Jr. year of high school when he shaves it off it is back in 3 weeks.

When I started this thread, I did not have a "Country Gentleman" type appearance in mind. Nor was my time period of preferance in the powdered wig era.

There are probably thousands of pictures of mid 19th century frontiersmen on the internet. Some with only mustaches, some clean shaven, some with mustache and beard.

My initial question was to find out if anyone used theatrical applications in their reenacting pursuits? Facial hair aside, anyone who does historical "reenacting", by the definition of the word is acting and it follows that makeup including facial hair could be part of someone's persona, if they so choose to use it.

I lost my hair years ago and by accounts of people growing beards, who I know personally, the itching is at the very least, annoying.

When I was in Vietnam we shaved when we could and many times, we didn't shave for days. I don't remember having any discomfort then but perhaps it takes a longer growth of beard to get to the itching stage?

In any case, thanks to those who gave honest answers.
Come now gentmen---we only need to look to Ambrose Burnside.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back