• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bearded bags.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim pauoski

32 Cal
Reaction score
I would like to build a bearded bag but have no knowledge of their provenance. Over the last couple of years Iv'e noted artisans reproductions for sale including a recent one by Scott Sibley. The flaps appear to show a southern influence, maybe Native American in origin. Any assistance on this type of pouch would be happily received. Thanks Much.

Curly strips of leather (fringe) on the bag..

I saw a tutorial on building one somewhere not long ago......

It makes a nice looking bag , but appears too be a lot of work !

Bearded bag by MarcRuger on ALR.

92C3D125-E1DC-4AF7-AB0E-4B3AADA416AD.jpeg

I'm not familiar with a "bearded bag" you mention in your post. Is that a typo or something I've never heard of? Always curious to learn something new...
The flap and front under the flap are layered with fringe like you would shingle a roof.

I, too, really like that look. It seems both practical (shedding water, to break up the hard outline, & making movement look more "natural", like foliage) and attractive. I think I'll add them to a plain bag i have. Thanks for the inspiration.

My first impression was "hey, a Ghillie Suit bag" and it makes sense for stalking, keeps the horn from slapping the bag. Maybe there was something to this, not just a decoration. Tinhorn

Back