Bearded bags.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

tim pauoski

32 Cal
Reaction score
I would like to build a bearded bag but have no knowledge of their provenance. Over the last couple of years Iv'e noted artisans reproductions for sale including a recent one by Scott Sibley. The flaps appear to show a southern influence, maybe Native American in origin. Any assistance on this type of pouch would be happily received. Thanks Much.

Blaze

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with a "bearded bag" you mention in your post. Is that a typo or something I've never heard of? Always curious to learn something new...

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Curly strips of leather (fringe) on the bag..

I saw a tutorial on building one somewhere not long ago......

It makes a nice looking bag , but appears too be a lot of work !

tim pauoski

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with a "bearded bag" you mention in your post. Is that a typo or something I've never heard of? Always curious to learn something new...
The flap and front under the flap are layered with fringe like you would shingle a roof.

tim pauoski

32 Cal
Reaction score
Bearded bag by MarcRuger on ALR.

View attachment 32171
I promised myself I would build a pouch for every horn in my collection and I have a couple of southern banded/beehive horns that need a pouch. I'm a bit of a button Nazi so everything has to be P.C.. I would love to know the history behind these bags even if I did not build one.

Reaction score
Beautiful example
new term to me
never to old to find something new
take a gander at

Reaction score
Looks like a tick or other critter could hide in it then crawl out and attack at a later time.

Flinty Scot

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I, too, really like that look. It seems both practical (shedding water, to break up the hard outline, & making movement look more "natural", like foliage) and attractive. I think I'll add them to a plain bag i have. Thanks for the inspiration.

Artie Peltier

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I initially thought "bearded" was a spelling mistake, I learned what bearded means and learned something new.
I thought it was a typo too! i have never seen or heard of this type of bag. I too have learned something new and that’s why I love this group.

Tinhorn

36 Cl.
Reaction score
My first impression was "hey, a Ghillie Suit bag" and it makes sense for stalking, keeps the horn from slapping the bag. Maybe there was something to this, not just a decoration. Tinhorn