Bear

Discussion in 'Traditional Muzzleloader Hunting' started by Sean Gadhar, Aug 9, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Aug 10, 2019 #21

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

Zonie I am OK with all of that. . . . BUT Poker's bear photo clearly shows he has a Propane BBQ Grill, my god man we need to draw the line somewhere!!!! Can we burn him at the stake? :p (As I cover up my electric smoker) :rolleyes:

Britsmoothy likes this.
  2. Aug 11, 2019 #22

poker

poker

poker

32 Cal

Guilty as charged Sir
    Dang, what sort of fixes those newfangled cameras get a guy into.

Sean Gadhar likes this.
  3. Aug 11, 2019 #23

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

I KNOW! Like I said I always try to get a photo of myself at each camera set, but this dang newfangled camera keeps taking a picture of some fat old man. Thing must be broke or something:(

Britsmoothy, azmntman and poker like this.
  4. Aug 11, 2019 #24

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

54 Cal.

I must have the same camera Sean.

azmntman and Sean Gadhar like this.
  5. Aug 11, 2019 #25

poker

poker

poker

32 Cal

Thats the same reason I avoid getting in any pictures. At least for the last few years. When did they start making those trick cameras Sean?

6. Aug 13, 2019 #26

Pilgrim

Have killed or been in on 7 bear kills in last 7 years in Colorado. Bears in September here feed on average 20 hours a day. They almost never stop eating. If you are in an area with berries, acorns and also some water, odds are you will have bears all around you. Sit tight and kill one. Have killed bears from first light to 4 pm so far. They are always moving. Planning on doing it again this year.

7. Aug 13, 2019 #27

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

54 Cal.

Vaccination is period correct. Some of the other things too, but I won't go there.

8. Aug 17, 2019 #28

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

Well I spent a week working out of town, got home about 3 hours ago, filled my haversack for tomorrow now it's off to bed so I can get out and check the trail cams and the spots I raked in the trail IMG_2874.JPG see if the Bears have been working as hard as I have. Hope so, then Saturday night or Sunday I need to get out and shoot. Haven't smelled Burnt powder in so long I can't remember!

FYI that is my reading glasses case 6' end to end so that is a youngsters 4 inch track ;) maybe 4 1/2" little 90-125 pound bear I'd guess

9. Aug 17, 2019 #29

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

Well the Service Berries are JUST starting to ripen. There is a Chipmunk in nearly every big bush harvesting the few that ARE ripe, but it looks like another week to ten days before there will be enough ripe to get the Bears excited. :(

Until then here is a little more eye candy:)
    WGI_0003.JPG

This next one is bigger, I'll put a photo of a hiker at the same spot below so you can gauge size.

WGI_0141.JPG WGI_0145.JPG

I found a glen where there are berries on one side and Acorns (STILL GREEN RIGHT NOW) on the other a meadow between with intersecting trails, below it the trails run into a stand of Aspen, and there are a number (Really quite a few) of Aspen with marks where young bears have been treed, all with the bark healed over. My hope is this is sign of a large bear protecting his fall feeding grounds. . . . But who knows. I moved a camera there, to see who is in the area.

IMG_2934.JPG

IMG_2935.JPG

Brokennock likes this.
  10. Aug 18, 2019 at 7:05 PM #30

longcruise

longcruise

longcruise

70 Cal.

That looks like "your" spot, Sean. Just add a whole lot of patience!

I know you are going to get your bear, just know it! :)

11. Aug 18, 2019 at 7:55 PM #31

Tom A Hawk

Tom A Hawk

Tom A Hawk

40 Cal MLF Sponsor MLF Supporter

Something I've been pondering. I have been seeing increasing sign of bears on the property for several years. Now I have photos of four different individuals this year. I feel its only a matter of time and patience until an opportunity for a shot presents itself. What the hell do I do with a 300 lb bear then...? :( Most of the time I'm hunting solo. Not sure I could get one on the game cart let alone back to the truck. I suppose I could skin and dissect the beast in the woods....
    What suggestions do you successful bear hunters have to offer?

12. Aug 18, 2019 at 8:29 PM #32

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

Do things for people (so they owe you one). . . . and keep their phone number on hand.:)
    Sounds funny but really men (even young guys with strong backs) WANT to be part of a bear hunt. I can't remember ever turning down a chance to help carry out bear meat. . . . . can't remember ever hearing of someone getting that call and NOT heading out the door. I can think of two guys at my work who don't hunt but came to me and said, "if you ever need a hand getting a bear packed out. . . . " 10,000 years of wanting to be part of a bear kill is still ingrained in most young men.

Make that same call to the same guys about getting bundles of shingles on your roof and they would all be "sorry, but. . . "

13. Aug 18, 2019 at 8:36 PM #33

Patocazador

Patocazador

Patocazador

54 Cal.

I don't know how old you are or what shape you're in but it wouldn't be too hard if you had transportation within a reasonable distance.
    Years ago I killed a 200 # bear in a Montana wilderness area. I skinned it on the spot and hoisted the hide with the head and paws into a tree. Then I removed the loins, tenderloins and one hind quarter and back-packed that the 4 miles to camp. My brother was there and we both went back with packs and got the rest plus the hide. It took most of the day but it wasn't that difficult.

If you have a cart, you could load as much as you could and just make two trips. If your truck is within a mile or so, it should be relatively easy.

14. Aug 18, 2019 at 8:58 PM #34

Britsmoothy

Britsmoothy

Britsmoothy

70 Cal.

For a moment I thought that was a photo of a suppository for treating piles!
    Glad you cleared that up in the the text!

15. Aug 18, 2019 at 10:09 PM #35

hanshi

hanshi

hanshi

Cannon

My thoughts exactly. For many years I've lived in bear territory but never thought of hunting them. What in tarnation would I do with big ol' bear? Handling small-medium deer taxes me beyond my limits. A bear just wouldn't do. I've long wanted and still want a bear claw necklace; but I'm not willing to do what is required just for a necklace. Besides, it would likely make me feel bad if I did. A moose? Ya' gotta be kidding.

16. Aug 18, 2019 at 10:37 PM #36

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

I've had some nice mundane colored reading glasses cases. . . . they are out there somewhere where I set them down and lost them. But that neon green & Blue case can be seen from space I think :D

nhmoose and Britsmoothy like this.
  17. Aug 19, 2019 at 12:00 AM #37

Tom A Hawk

Tom A Hawk

Tom A Hawk

40 Cal MLF Sponsor MLF Supporter

Wonder what the taxidermy bill for a bear rug would run these days....

18. Aug 19, 2019 at 12:15 AM #38

fleener

fleener

fleener

50 Cal.

a bear rug will coat you north of a grand.

Fleener

19. Aug 19, 2019 at 12:17 AM #39

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

just tanned or made into a "Bear Rug" (stuffed head, trimmed, paws taxidermied) just tanned around $300 Rug at least $150 more. last time I looked was 2015ish

20. Aug 19, 2019 at 2:45 AM #40

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

I once tried hunting bare but when I hunkered down in the frost covered weeds my posterior objected strongly. :D:D