Bear

Discussion in 'Traditional Muzzleloader Hunting' started by Sean Gadhar, Aug 9, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Aug 9, 2019 #1

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

I have a bear tag, but in Colorado no bait no dogs, :( So this year I resorted to trail cams for the 1st time. There are two big bear in the basin I'm going to hunt, I am in hopes that the trail cams will help me pattern what bear is feeding in what berry patch. WGI_0001.JPG

2. Aug 9, 2019 #2

Einsiedler

Einsiedler

Einsiedler

40 Cal.

Good luck on the hunt!!!!

3. Aug 9, 2019 #3

Tom A Hawk

Tom A Hawk

Tom A Hawk

40 cal - b MLF Sponsor MLF Supporter

I have the same game camera. Works great and the videos are excellent.

4. Aug 9, 2019 #4

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

I am on the learning curve of Trail cams, Had a photo of a bigger bear and deleted it somehow, then I set up on the side of the trail, rather then pointing down it, so they got out of frame too fast, here is one where you can just see a bears hind end in the lower left. LOL Service berries will be ripe by the 15th or 20th then I expect activity to go way up. I found a great stand of big Aspen that look over about a 50'x100' berry patch, but it does me no good if there isn't a bear working it near daylight & in season.

WGI_0024.JPG

5. Aug 9, 2019 #5

poker

poker

poker

36 Cl.

Trying to livetrap the coons at night that keep wreckin the bird feeders. Have caught a couple but lately one keeps stealing the bait but never trips the door, so thought I'd set a cam up to figure him out. What a surprise, this old black bear got his picture taken and even went right up on the deck. Within 5 minutes a big coon was on cam followed by someones house cat. Lots of creatures move at night.

IMG_0174.JPG IMG_0186.JPG IMG_0187.JPG IMG_0188.JPG

Phillip McDonald and Big Rviers like this.
  6. Aug 9, 2019 #6

CoHiCntry

CoHiCntry

CoHiCntry

32 Cal.

Is your tag for the muzzleloader season or the month long September rifle season? I’ve found sitting water holes to be productive.

azmntman likes this.
  7. Aug 9, 2019 #7

Big Rviers

Big Rviers

Big Rviers

32 Cal

Correct me if I'm wrong but this forum is for traditional Muzzleloading hunting, so unless someone can show some videos of Daniel Boones or Simon Kenton's trail camera's we should stick to traditional ways of hunting.

SmokepoleSam likes this.
  8. Aug 9, 2019 #8

Tom A Hawk

Tom A Hawk

Tom A Hawk

This shot was taken directly under my tree stand. I was unfortunately not present at the time.

upload_2019-8-9_10-49-45.png

9. Aug 9, 2019 #9

Boomerang

Boomerang

Boomerang

40 Cal.

Hopefully they don't stay nocturnal on you.

Sean Gadhar likes this.
  10. Aug 9, 2019 #10

Patrick Thomas

Patrick Thomas

Patrick Thomas

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

Well, I think as long as the actual hunt is with traditional muzzleloaders using traditional hunting methods, I think the use and sharing of trail cam pictures is ok. By your logic, one could not take pictures at all.

11. Aug 9, 2019 #11

Ames

Ames

Ames

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

The horned toad says we should go to Mexico.
    True. And by that logic we should be writing this all down and sending letters.

stikshooter, KTK458, azmntman and 2 others like this.
  12. Aug 10, 2019 #12

Tom A Hawk

Tom A Hawk

Tom A Hawk

Yeah, with a goose quill...

KTK458, azmntman and Phillip McDonald like this.
  13. Aug 10, 2019 #13

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

42 miles one way to the basin, long way without a horse, maybe I can cheat and drive the pickup

azmntman and Phillip McDonald like this.
  14. Aug 10, 2019 #14

azmntman

azmntman

azmntman

75 Cal.

"Correct me if I'm wrong but this forum is for traditional Muzzleloading hunting, so unless someone can show some videos of Daniel Boones or Simon Kenton's trail camera's we should stick to traditional ways of hunting."

Nope, no vehicles. If Angies n Zonie n Stumpkiller go all out per the above post I'm gonna convert to Amish and get me a mule:horseback:. No nothin. No microwave, phone, credit/debit card, real tooth paste or deodorant, no washing machine, no contact lens, no vaccines, no diabetes insulin, heart meds, gout meds, no phones, no plastic nothin, no alot of what the poster and the rest of us use daily. And ferget huntin the ol bull elk further than 20-30 miles from home YOU CANT GET IT HOME.

We been where this is going and I suggest we stop it now. A good purge shouldn't be needed more than once every 3-4years. Last one was a good un too.

KTK458 likes this.
  15. Aug 10, 2019 #15

azmntman

azmntman

azmntman

75 Cal.

Is that a sow? NICE BOOTY

16. Aug 10, 2019 #16

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

The September season, I know a great spot a few miles away that looks down on a watering hole, but the shots are 200 yds + and I only hunt bear with front suffers. The basin has two year round creeks so water holes won't do it :( Though if I can find the feeding grounds and it is still hot out they will lay up by the water in the aspen. Or so I hope. I'd be damn skinny if all I ate was bear I killed, but I sure like pitting myself against them. I work out of town all next week so by the time I get back Service berries will be starting to attract the bears. Lot easier to see what they are up to when they poop a great big purple pile of seeds every 100 yards or so ;)

Woodnbow and CoHiCntry like this.
  17. Aug 10, 2019 #17

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

Sean Gadhar

69 Cal. MLF Supporter

Tom that looks like a heck of a nice bear. any idea on the size? I always get a photo of myself at each camera set, that way I have something to gauge the bear by, sometimes they can be really hard to estimate. at least for me.

18. Aug 10, 2019 #18

Tom A Hawk

Tom A Hawk

Tom A Hawk

We think its a sow. Here's another view. Last year there were two young ones with here. This year there are three juveniles. Can't shoot a mom with cubs...
    But there must be a male somewhere nearby.
    upload_2019-8-10_9-5-2.png
    upload_2019-8-10_9-6-18.png

19. Aug 10, 2019 #19

Patocazador

Patocazador

Patocazador

54 Cal.

Good luck with that. I have at least 3 bears on my 150 hunting piece but there seems to be no pattern as to when they stop at the feeders (corn). I have photos at midnight, daybreak, evening and even noon.
    Also, one feeder is 1/2 mile from the other and the same bears show up at both.

My advice is to sit downwind from the largest berry patch and just stick it out till one shows up.
    2-tone Bear daytime(crop)WEB.jpg

2-tone Bear Standing WEB.jpg

Sean Gadhar likes this.
  20. Aug 10, 2019 #20

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

The forum owner, administrator and moderators accept the fact that we are living in a modern age so some leeway is given when it comes to some modern things.

If we went strictly by the "Traditional Only" idea as a hard rule we couldn't talk about aluminum cleaning rods, synthetic black powder, power tools in the building areas and blaze orange clothing in the hunting forums.
    Also, there could be no digital photos shown or for that matter, no use of computers to show and communicate with, so there would be no Muzzleloading Forum.

My advice is, let the moderators determine what is and what isn't acceptable and try not to worry about it. :)

KTK458, stikshooter, OldRust and 10 others like this.