• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bear Oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juniata

40 Cal
Reaction score
First off I want to make sure this doesn't get off topic, busting on people who screw up in life and cheat even if it t is clearly intentional. I don't want to go down rabbit holes on the idea of people being dumb and killing bears illegally... People do it and they always will and they will sometimes get caught.

I have told multiple wardens in the past if they get a bear taken illegally that I would be happy to have it for the meat and fat.
Each one has said something along the lines, "We don't know anyone interested in bears, so sure, we'll contact you"
This past weekend I got 2 calls about bears taken illegally and wanted to know if I'd be interested.
Here's the catch, I have to run to meet them for the bear and after processing have to return the head and hide or purchase it for $100.
So it's not a super convenient thing but I figure I'll take a bear or two a year since I've only be ever killed one. Don't alsk about how many I've missed....
One thing I also mention to the wardens is I'm only interested in bears weighing 150 or less account of not get a stinky big boar....just doesn't interest me.
I love bear meat, it's better than deer in my in opinion.
I'll take a bear even tho I didn't kill it, it's better than it being wasted.
So I got a little 60 lb bear from the warden yesterday.
After work here today I rendered the fat into oil, for multiple things.
Oiling boots, frying foods, greasing my butcher knives and best of all muzzleloader patch lube.

If any of you have a good combination to add like beewax or something and how about the storage of it, please let me know. I'm new to using the oil for patching. Maybe I should just use the oil only without anything else?
Also how should I go about applying it to the patches rub it it is with my fingers or soak em?
I don't use precut rather I use strips of pillow ticking, and cut it off.
I may cut them into small squares then apply the lube.
This will be for hunting since I use spit while shooting target.

PXL_20211108_203634153.jpg
PXL_20211109_195716696.jpg

I ended up between 4 and 5 parts bear grease with 1 part beeswax. Store it in tins and used for patch lube. Works well. Also use same mix on my boots where again it does well.

One thing I learned when putting up bear grease that may help. I get my quart and pint jars heated up while rendering the lard. I also have the lids and rings warm. I filter the bear grease twice and put it in the warm jars. Then screw on the lids and rims. When the grease cools, they will seal off themselves nicely. The ones I use for lard I keep stored in the fridge. The ones for boots and patches I just keep on a basement shelf.

Good stuff for sure. Great on leather and great in biscuits minus the beeswax lol.

I ended up between 4 and 5 parts bear grease with 1 part beeswax. Store it in tins and used for patch lube. Works well. Also use same mix on my boots where again it does well.

One thing I learned when putting up bear grease that may help. I get my quart and pint jars heated up while rendering the lard. I also have the lids and rings warm. I filter the bear grease twice and put it in the warm jars. Then screw on the lids and rims. When the grease cools, they will seal off themselves nicely. The ones I use for lard I keep stored in the fridge. The ones for boots and patches I just keep on a basement shelf.

Good stuff for sure. Great on leather and great in biscuits minus the beeswax lol.
Thanks, yes I put mine in mason jars but didn't bother heating them to get a seal.
I have plenty of hog lard for cooking. The oil from the bear is different than I expected..it stays liquid, I guess that's why they call it bear oil and not bear lard!
I'll get some beeswax to mix in. Thanks

Never thought of asking Game wardens for bear carcasses. I don't hunt for bear, I am 78 and have a few metal joints in my body. I couldn't get them out of the woods. The bears around here get pretty big, the largest I saw in the paper was an estimated live weight of 832 pounds. Plus the fact that a lot of the bears hit the garbage cans and seem to be very fond of used kitty litter! Wouldn't want to eat one of them.

The last batch I bought was I believe the 4 bear / 1 beeswax for leather and patches.

RM

I render and put into sterilized jars exactly like canning. I store them in the basement unless opened. I just rub my patches into the rendered fat for hunting. I also use in place of lard in my pie crusts. Its awesome!!
The only oil I ever get comes from kidney fat, etc. the fat on the back is semi-solid at room temp. I have never cut with beeswax or anything.
Walk

I cut the bear fat into 1” cubes and put into a crock pot on high heat. Stir every hour and cook until it stops boiling. I get clear, golden colored oil. I recently cooked down 2 gallons. Strain well while hot and “can”.
i use the straight bear oil on patches. Sometimes I mix with melted deer tallow if I want a rub on patch lube.

I was a printer for years. Old boss told me grease never dries (ink is grease). Didn't believe him so he asked me for the oldest bill in my wallet. Handed it over, a pretty worn five dollar bill, he walked over to the news print roll and rubbed it (like a steak not back n forth). Yep green ink visible. So I'm guessing the patch will stay lubed for the entire hunt.

I’m getting ready to render some bear fat for patch lube. Does it dry out during the day in the gun or bullet board?
I rendered the fart down to an oil and it dries out on patches over time, so I mixed beeswax in to help solidify it. It worked great and stayed lubricated in my loading block all season this past year. The extra patches I cut and lube I keep in a little round tin can, to be sure they don't dry out at all. Plus they get messy, this keeps things contained.

Target shooting I use spit. Its always on you, and never runs out, and you don't have to dig for it in your bag.

I'm going to be doing some rendering from my bear, probably next week. I have about 30 lbs that I took from it, although I'm sure it had over 100 lbs. I just don't need that much so I gave it to whoever wanted it and tossed the rest for nature to take care of. I'm sure I will give a lot of it away, seems it's in high demand even for people who don't hunt.

I've never done it before, is there any trick to rendering aside from not heating to hot?

20220913_110538a.jpg

Back