• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bear Oil patch recipe/recomendations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnbearbaiter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ended up shooting a nice boar up here in MN this last Sept and I harvested alot of fat off of him in hopes of rendering it down and making my own patch lube. I currently use TOTW Mink Tallow Oil for its durability in both warm and cold weather. Ideas on rendering bear oil down, what to add to maybe get it close to same properties as the lube I use now? I was thinking cut tallow into small chunks, render down slowly skimming often and adding maybe just beeswax, but have no idea ratio? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

img_4117.jpg

Ended up shooting a nice boar up here in MN this last Sept and I harvested alot of fat off of him in hopes of rendering it down and making my own patch lube. I currently use TOTW Mink Tallow Oil for its durability in both warm and cold weather. Ideas on rendering bear oil down, what to add to maybe get it close to same properties as the lube I use now? I was thinking cut tallow into small chunks, render down slowly skimming often and adding maybe just beeswax, but have no idea ratio? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
After rendering the fat, store it in jars in a pantry or cupboard. At room temperature, it will take on the consistency similar to paste shoe wax. As it is, this is what we call "bear grease". It's perfect as it is (no additives) as a patch lube. Just liquefy some of it again and pour it into a tin you can keep in your shooting bag. It's also great to cook with. Use it like you would bacon grease.

After it sits on the shelf for a while, you will start to see some clear or amber oil floating on top of the bear grease. Let this accumulate a bit and then either skim it off or pour it off into a small bottle(s) that you can carry in your shooting bag. This is bear oil. It is great for oiling any moving parts of your rifle or gun and is particularly effective preventing rust on your barrels even during rainy weather. Use it in place of gun oil as it was one of the two original gun oils used in the 18th century. Whale oil was the other one.

Twisted_1in66 :thumb:
Dan

Back