• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bear jawbone Dag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaBonte

Passed On
Reaction score
Bear jawbone grip with cable Damascus blade and Southern Cheyenne style sheath......

gwf-2012-020-01.jpg

gwf-2012-020-02.jpg

gwf-2012-020-03.jpg

gwf-2012-020-04.jpg

it's designed to be worn on a bandoleer which isn't finished yet........

Beautiful work, as always! The beads hanging off the fringe side, are those threaded on sinew?

Norseman - you're right a three bar with also a layer of nickel to set off the center bar

CraigC - On this one I used artificial sinew for strength - if I am doing a museum grade replica I use silk thread which many if not most of the Red River Metis sheaths use to string the beads that feature this type of fringe.
I sometimes use real sinew when doing applique beading - I use it for the thread that goes through the beads and then sew it down with cloth thread (hemp, linen, or silk - silk is the strongest) or imitation sinew, but have never used it for fringe since it stays stiff and to my eye doesn't "flow" right.
Cloth thread was widely available in the Rocky Mtn west by the 1820's, and while the Indians continued to use real sinew for a long time after, both for beading and construction, there are plenty of originals that use cloth thread and/or a mix with sinew.

And thank you all for the nice comments and as always I hope my efforts will inspire others to push the envelope - it's all a matter of the will to do and then LOTS of practice/just doing it...

Back