• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bear Grease

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Booneliane

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with bear grease.

How "heavy" a grease is it?

What makes it so popular as a patch lube?

One thing I do have easy access to and an ample supply on hand, is skunk grease (the heavier "sludge" leftover from rendering skunk fat down to oil).

Skunk oil and grease is quite "light" however.

Bear grease is usually mixed with beeswax for patch lube. Straight bear grease would be too thin.

Bear lard makes too good of a pie crust to waste it shooting. Mink is the slickest & works great for me.

Just be careful at the South end, If you make a mistake and Poke a Hole in a Gland you will be in for a RUDE awakening 😁

xyCsD1v.jpg

Remember the Game OPERATION? Same Principle!
MFNfaZr.jpg

ygOfoSHm.jpg

Render it down in a Double Boiler Setup nice n slow
hUHgHmLm.jpg

The End Result, 1 Less Skunk Around these Parts :) If all goes well, you will be Rewarded with some of the BEST Bullet Lube you can Obtain!
NtL3rLZ.jpg

2kJAKVJ.jpg

I tried it and felt it was too runny in hot weather. We all have different likes. Most bear grease sold as patch lube will have some beeswax in it.
Perhaps, I don’t use it for targets, just hunting, and our weather is cooler in hunting seasons than yours I suspect. I’m just a wee bit North of ya.
Walk

Yes, muzzy season here starts on Sept 11th this year. It could be snowing or 85 degrees. Even at 11,000ft.

Plus, I shoot the same load all the time whether it's practice or hunting it will be my hunting load. So, i'm using it all summer too.

I may have to do some experimenting.

I render a lot of skunk fat.

I also render a lot of beaver tail. Makes a very thick, heavy, black oil that won’t freeze. It’ll get awful stiff, but even at -30 is “malleable”. The tail oil definitely has an odor though that some may find offensive.

I use bear OIL for hunting. It is also suitable to use for cooking, or popping corn. Very light, and takes very little to wet the patch. I've left it up to three days when hunting, and getting no shot at game, decided to pull the load rather than shoot it. Patch was still nicely damp, and powder ran out the barrel nicely (not clumped up) when tipping the barrel down.

A quart nearly full has lasted 40+ years, and there is still about an inch or so left. It still looks and smells fine, and I'll use it again this fall if I can get back to hunting (knee replacement 2 months ago should now allow that).

Only ever shot one bear. Best part of rendering the grease was the cracklings. Mmmmm. Don't know if I want to try skunk cracklings.

Back