• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TRADE Bear Grease

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got an ample supply of bear grease, rendered from fat from black bears taken by friends here in NW Montana/northern Idaho.

I will confess: I have no idea of it's value to traditional muzzleloaders. I am new to this game, having only recently acquired a used lefty Investarm .50 cal Hawken.

I am presently flat on my back, awaiting an appointment with a neurosurgeon. I've been using this time away from work to dig around the internet, learning more about various aspects of muzzleloading. I think I'd like to learn to knap my own flints from the raw stone. Maybe somebody would trade me chunks of raw flint or chert for bear grease? I'm open to other possibilities as well. The worst that will happen will be a polite "no thank you."

If you're interested and not in a blazing hurry, throw out trade offers or suggestions for what bear grease might be worth. I keep it in the freezer because we use it for cooking. I'm sure I could find some wholesale smaller tins/bottles to put it in for sport applications.

Best,

KP

Hey KP,
I've got an interesting trade offer. I make wine and have bottles from about any fruit you can name, plus sweet corn, and potatoes. I'd trade you a bottle of my wine (name your flavor and I probably have it) for a jar of grease.

Eric

A big congrats to you guys. It probably goes without saying, but no malice intent on my part.

A big congrats to you guys. It probably goes without saying, but no malice intent on my part.
Silky I think that your trade offer was pretty neat it caught my eye because it harkens back to the days of trading for handmade goods. I’m sure none of us thought there was even a tinge of malice involved.

Welcome to the forum. I have no need of the bear grease but I also enjoy seeing guys horse trading.

Last edited by a moderator:
I make patch lube for round ball with bear grease and beeswax. Beeswax is plenty expensive unless you keep hives or are on good terms with someone who does. Bumbling Bear is a commercial lube that I can match with my concoction and I know exactly what goes in it. Only beeswax and bear oil=no additivies. Older Native American women swear that by rubbing it in your hair it slows down the graying of the scalp. Kind of expensive but you can make soap with it. If rendered properly I cook with it. And makes a nice pie crust with or without water.

Meant to say with or without BUTTER. You do need to use water. Some folks uses alcohol as wetting agent for pie crust so it doesn't get over worked and leathery.

Back