• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bear Banger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronHand

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have a chance to go black bear hunting this year in Michigans UP. Ranges are 50 yards or less but they get some big bears up there.

Of course I will be shooting a muzzleloader. I have several that should do but I am wondering what more experienced hunters think. What do you consider optimal and why. Please help me decide.

Thanks
IronHand

50 cal would be as small as I would go however I recommend the biggest you have, bears die hard, don't always leave much of a blood trail if any, and usually head for the thickest, nastiest, brushiest tangles they can find. You need to anchor a bear as quickly as you can and you want and exit wound if possible.

I've never killed a bear ( no bears in my corner of far west Pa) but there are 125+ black bears that would say Davey Crockett's 40 cal prb did the trick.

I'm sure whatever you have, assuming you put it just behind the shoulder, will do just fine.

Biggest gun you can shoot accurately at that range. I would probably choose a .54, either a T/C Renegade caplock or a Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle... though a Pedersoli Kodiak Safari Express in .72 caliber or maybe the Kodiak in .54 or .58 would be nice. That second shot might be helpful.

Use actual black powder, not Pyrodex or 777... and I would suggest a caplock. It gets cold and damp in the UP... and maybe you want an unmentionable in .44 caliber in a holster on your hip just in case? Some of my customers have told me about bears that go right through the dogs to get to the hunter.

My first bear was killed with a .45 cal and conical bullet. That said I would strongly recommend 50cal or larger. Having a bear up close and personal can be a bit unnerving. Study a bear's anatomy to aid in shot placement. With all the hair and hanging skin you have to know what you are looking at to get the shot right where you want it. Several of the bear I've killed have dropped at the shot, only to pop back up and run. Be prepared to watch the direction they are traveling and listen. It will aid in the tracking. Hit right and with an appropriate bullet they aren't that hard to kill. Hit wrong and you are in for a bad experience. I haven't lost one yet, but I've passed on a lot of possible shots that just weren't right. Good luck and enjoy.

I have been fortunate enough to go for spring bear a bunch of times, and loved it. Never with my ML though....But some thoughts...I used a .45 cal. unmentionable, big and fat. (but much faster than any round ball). Bigger is better, they soak up a lot of shock, and the bigger slug will leave better bleeding channel....the wounds clog up with fat quickly. Almost all shots will be in very poor light. Practice soon, in rotten light, so you can improve your sight picture if you need to. Prepare for black flies /mosquitoes like you have never dreamed (or had nightmares) of. We used Thermocells very effectively, both in tree and ground blinds. I hope to go back again, but my long time outfitter closed up with Covid. I would be happy to bring my ML, and it would probably be my .58 flinter. Bears are not hard to kill, but they are decieving how they are built.

I have been fortunate enough to go for spring bear a bunch of times, and loved it. Never with my ML though....But some thoughts...I used a .45 cal. unmentionable, big and fat. (but much faster than any round ball). Bigger is better, they soak up a lot of shock, and the bigger slug will leave better bleeding channel....the wounds clog up with fat quickly. Almost all shots will be in very poor light. Practice soon, in rotten light, so you can improve your sight picture if you need to. Prepare for black flies /mosquitoes like you have never dreamed (or had nightmares) of. We used Thermocells very effectively, both in tree and ground blinds. I hope to go back again, but my long time outfitter closed up with Covid. I would be happy to bring my ML, and it would probably be my .58 flinter. Bears are not hard to kill, but they are decieving how they are built.
Try these guys

http://www.turtlecreekoutdoors.com/guided_bear_hunts
I have hunted with them and my best friend works with them. Highly recommend.

Ironhand

I don't hunt animals that could consider me dinner. If I had to defend myself from one I'd want the biggest boomer I have and that would be my 54. I would also be in a tree....with backup.

Have not shot a bear with a muzzleloader yet, tried this year but was not presented a shot in our short season. Have shot with bow and as stated, middle/middle for kill zone and i would recommend bigger the better. they don't tend to leave much of a blood trail in my experience and want to leave yourself best opportunity for one if shot is questionable.

I got mine with my 20 ga. trade gun. It was around a 200 pound bear, shot at about 25 yards, He went about 50 yards and expired.

Attachments

• IMG_2065.JPG
    IMG_2065.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
I am going to CN bear hunting in May. I plan on using most likely a .73 cal. English Sporting Rifle.

Fleener

My first bear was killed with a .45 cal and conical bullet. That said I would strongly recommend 50cal or larger. Having a bear up close and personal can be a bit unnerving. Study a bear's anatomy to aid in shot placement. With all the hair and hanging skin you have to know what you are looking at to get the shot right where you want it. Several of the bear I've killed have dropped at the shot, only to pop back up and run. Be prepared to watch the direction they are traveling and listen. It will aid in the tracking. Hit right and with an appropriate bullet they aren't that hard to kill. Hit wrong and you are in for a bad experience. I haven't lost one yet, but I've passed on a lot of possible shots that just weren't right. Good luck and enjoy.
^^What he said-bear’s lungs sit very low in the chest cavity with a comparatively small heart. There’s a lot of open space in the top half of the chest cavity, any shot placed higher than center can lead to a long and potentially hazardous tracking job. I personally wouldn’t get hung up on bigger caliber, best to take the rifle of reasonable size that you can confidently put your shot where it needs to go, bears die fairly quickly with proper shot placement due to their smaller lung capacity. Hope we will see pics after your trip! Cheers and good luck.

Latest posts

Back