• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Beans and rice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heart here, in crock pot with a quartered onion, take out when done let get cold, good rye bread, swiss cheese and a good quality ground mustard along with a pint of your favorite beverage. Also thinly sliced and made into a grilled ruben. If in a deer camp the first killrd deers liver with onions,gravey and boiled potatoes is a good meal.

Love liver, like heart, only had kidneys once and don’t remember. Same with tongue. “Oysters”, don’t believe I’ve ever.
Walk
You have a hard time telling tongue from other roast beef.
I don’t care for liver steaks, but chopped small and cooked in a stew makes the richest of broth
Oysters of the Rocky Mountain variety taste like sweetbreads. Of the ocean variety there an acquired taste. I recommend a Chesapeake he oyster stew as a starter to mild the flavor a bit

First deer I killed was in 1967, got it home and hung it from a tree in the back yard. As my buddy and I went to work gutting and skinning it (neither of us had ever done that before) my mother got the liver and went to work on it. She par boiled it and then cooked it with onions and then smothered it in gravy and served it over rice. Mighty fine eating. Have never eaten deer liver since though.
At college I would hunt with my roommate and his Dad who was a Delta Planter, big difference between a farmer and a planter. We would stay in their cabin which was in a group of about 14 others. All the buildings were 10’ to 15’ in the air because they were located on the river side of the Mississippi River levee and water still got in them sometime. There was a huge dining house that had 4 cooks and 4 or 5 servers all in white coats and hats, the cooks had the tall chef’s hats. They had all sorts or breakfast meats but their specialty was scrambled eggs with B&B (brains and balls). Tried it once, the brains made the fillings in my teeth tingle. The servers would fill your thermos and make you biscuit sandwiches to take to the woods with you. A really good sandwich was a cathead biscuit with thick sliced bacon , thinly sliced fried deer oysters and some scrambled eggs wrapped in waxed paper. That was my kind of B&B.
I don’t eat much organ meat anymore.

You have a hard time telling tongue from other roast beef.
I don’t care for liver steaks, but chopped small and cooked in a stew makes the richest of broth
Oysters of the Rocky Mountain variety taste like sweetbreads. Of the ocean variety there an acquired taste. I recommend a Chesapeake he oyster stew as a starter to mild the flavor a bit
I could eat salt water oysters off the shell raw all day. Breaded and fried in a sandwich is not too shabby. I bring clams home for a clam and chorizo stew. Bring extra to shuck and eat raw. One for me. One for the Lab. One for me..........

The real deal, true andoullie Cajun sausage these folks have it . They ship also. Give them a call. Just google
Bourgeois meat market, Thibodaux, La,
All of their products are great..!
Bourgeois is the best. If you place an order make sure to get some white boudin sausage. Remove the meat from the casing and roll into small balls, egg wash batter and bread crumbs. Deep fry lightly and serve with the red beans and rice. Bon appetite!

Heart here, in crock pot with a quartered onion, take out when done let get cold, good rye bread, swiss cheese and a good quality ground mustard along with a pint of your favorite beverage. Also thinly sliced and made into a grilled ruben. If in a deer camp the first deers liver with onions,gravey and boiled potatoes is a good meal.

I really like a good pot of navy beans, with ham shanks, and some freash baked bread. My mom made that all the time, and I can still remember the smell of the fresh bread baking and getting a slice of it still warm and putting butter on it. That was some really good eating.

Heart sliced into about ½" slices fried in garlic butter on a Jet boil cooker at the site of the kill .
Liver sliced into ¼" slices , dusted with garlic salt , smoked paprika and chili powder , quick fried in garlic butter and used as a sandwich filling .
Kidneys , skinned , cleaned , soaked in milk for a hour or two , chopped up fried with bacon and onions , on toast with fried tomatoes and eggs .

Got Navy Beans soaking in a bowel right now. Maybe for dinner tonight? Had tater soup last night. :D
Cook them beans and a few minutes before they're ready to eat, add some chopped Celery.
Still crunchy when you bite into it. ;)

1663936217043.png
:D :D

Wife picked up a bag of Green Split Peas. Still got Ham Hocks to add to the mix. ;)
Townsend had a vid for peas pudding
Cook the peas about an hour in minimum of water. Mash the peas, then put in a floured pudding bag and then boil for an hour.
You can carry this with you and eat from the bag. Makes a ball but only a little firmer then mashed potatoes
I added lightly cooked bacon, with the fat, finely chopped sautéed onions and a good helping of salt and pepper.
My pudding was far more dumpling like solid. Taken on a trek and sliced and fried it was great.

Sounds like my pea soup when it cools it is solid. Next time when done I will four it into bread pans and cool then try slicing.

When I re-heat it now I have to add water, or it burns to the pot!

I cook it for 4-6 hours, same pot no need to put it in a cloth to boil like a pudding. Since my sister passed 8 years ago and a distant aunt died 2 months ago, I am the only one who eats it left in the family.

Beans and rice have always been one of my favorite recipes since childhood. I use coconut rice because it is fiber-rich that helps to speed up metabolism and digestion.
Ingredients:
-3 cups coconut milk (or 1 1/2 cups coconut milk plus 1 1/2 cups water)
-1 1/2 cups short-grain rice
-1 can pink/pinto/black beans
-Salt
Steps:
Combine liquid and rice in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add a pinch of salt, reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure the rice doesn't stick or burn. Uncover and continue to cook, stirring, over low heat until rice is tender. If the liquid evaporates before the rice is done, stir in more water (about a 1/2 cup at a time) and cook until done. Consume chicken and rice with veggies for a complete meal.

I don't know if there is a "right" way or a "wrong" way to do all these things. They all taste good and that's the whole point.
1. I've seen red beans and rice made two different ways. I always mixed everything up together but a few folks just do the beans and then ladle that over a serving of white rice.
2.Hopping John- now a days sort of a Hillbilly Connotation but black eyed peas and rice and you "kick it up a notch" by starting out frying onion, add the BEP and Rice and chunks of smoked ham- one pot thing.
3. Snaps and Peas. Black eyed peas and cut green beans- also good.
4. Sausage. to me Andouille has its own taste, not at all like Kielbasa. There is a Southern Smoked Sausage that to me is the same as Kielbasa. Boudin- in south Louisiana (my girl cousin lives there) they have a "Boudin Trail" You can get the stuff at gas stations, etc. Usually in a pot of boiling water. Pork, Pork Liver, and rice and pretty soft. You need sharp front teeth to bite through the casings.
Louisiana has a really interesting history- Spanish, French, quite a lot of folks straight from Italy- all combines to create a really unique food culture. Maybe the best in America. I could eat my way across the state. :).

Back