• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Beans and rice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had red beans and rice for lunch today. Once, I told a guy at work that RB&R was one of my favorites. He told me he grew up in south Louisiana and had them every day. Never wanted to see another one. Difference of perspective, I guess.

I live deep in Cajun Country, down on Bayou Lafourche, and I want you to know that Monday is traditionally the day for red beans and rice, and smoked sausage. There is an art to cooking them, will post recipes shortly.

White (navy) beans, ham hocks and onions? UMMMM Good!! Got to have a chunk of Corn Bread with the butter running down your chin when you take a bite. :D
A little OT but when I was a kid, I had to clean my plate. Nothing worse than COLD split pea soup!!
Got older and Split Pea soup, BIG chunks of Ham and Onions are the BEST!!
NEVER gets a chance to get cold.
Grow your own Potatoes. Little ones in the pot, skin and all. Takes about a gallon of milk to thin them down. Beats the hell out of store bought.
Another "stick to your ribs" meal on a cold rainy day that won't quit. Just a little French Bread to soak up any leftover juice. ;)
When it rains and blows I think of Clam Chowder and French Bread.
Too much talk. I need something to eat. :D :D

Last edited:
I've never had beans and rice that I didn't like, and I've had about every combination you can imagine. One of my favorite variations, from a local Greek restaurant, includes sirloin tips..I want to try to duplicate that with venison tenderloin.

I lived in Amelia, La. the last 2 years of the 60’s. My landlord’s wife, Mama Gaudet made red beans and rice, usually on Monday, with no recipe, just a lot of soul. . She showed me her way and I do pretty doggone well but she couldn’t bottle up some of that soul for me and my best batch is not even close to her worst.

Had red beans and rice for lunch today. Once, I told a guy at work that RB&R was one of my favorites. He told me he grew up in south Louisiana and had them every day. Never wanted to see another one. Difference of perspective, I guess.
Yep..., William Shatner aka Captain Kirk wrote that as a struggling actor he lived off of cans of fruit salad. Once he was working regularly, he never ate the stuff again. Can't stand it. Tom Hank's character in Castaway ate lots of crab until rescued..., his welcome back banquet he just sorta stares at the crablegs....

My Beans and Rice are pretty simple. I boil up the beans in water and salt and garlic, and cook the rice on the side. THEN I drain that off 😶...(that's where most of the "gas" is 😇 ) OR when in a hurry I get Goya brand beans and rinse them for the same reason..., then I add garlic and sriracha and salt to the rice and beans as I mix them. Real Sriracha is from fermented peppers, and I can stand the heat from them to a higher degree than I can from fresh chilis or dry cayenne, tobasco, etc.

LD

I lived in Amelia, La. the last 2 years of the 60’s. My landlord’s wife, Mama Gaudet made red beans and rice, usually on Monday, with no recipe, just a lot of soul. . She showed me her way and I do pretty doggone well but she couldn’t bottle up some of that soul for me and my best batch is not even close to her worst.
I lived in Amelia, La. th
e last 2 years of the 60’s. My landlord’s wife, Mama Gaudet made red beans and rice, usually on Monday, with no recipe, just a lot of soul. . She showed me her way and I do pretty doggone well but she couldn’t bottle up some of that soul for me and my best batch is not even close to her worst.
If you lived in Amelia, that’s the backyard of Morgan City, so I know you do know about good Red Beans!

Some time back I got to try Andouille sausage. I don't know if it was a good brand or not. To me it tasted like Hillshire Kielbasa. Coming from the NY metro area, where you can get any type of food even home made kielbasa, I don't like the commercial version. That's why I have always substituted Italian sausage for Andoullie. Having eaten all kinds of foods, verified by the roundness of my stomach, is there anyone out there who could recommend a good tasting Andoullie sausage/

Some time back I got to try Andouille sausage. I don't know if it was a good brand or not. To me it tasted like Hillshire Kielbasa. Coming from the NY metro area, where you can get any type of food even home made kielbasa, I don't like the commercial version. That's why I have always substituted Italian sausage for Andoullie. Having eaten all kinds of foods, verified by the roundness of my stomach, is there anyone out there who could recommend a good tasting Andoullie sausage/
There was a farmers market in Salem Arkansas I went to pretty regular. There was an old boy who had a big ice chest full of meats. He came up to Salem from more south in the state, he had goat, home made bacon and his own andouille. I told him as I was buying some goat and bacon I didn’t much care for andouille. He told me I would like his so I gave it a shot, and I did.
Two weeks later went back and he was gone. Seems they didn’t like him selling meat on the street.
That was the only time I ever had one I liked.
I’ve tried several brands and not found one I care for. I generally use Hillshire farms ‘Cajun’ or just a smoked sausage instead.

I fix these every week or so and just did Saturday. My wife is a yankee and wants bratwurst in her RB&R (sacrilege) so I throw her a couple of whole ones in to maintain the peace.

I’m making red beans and rice for dinner. It’s not wholly Cajun style but pretty tasty.
Love beans and rice, Cajun with red beans, pintos and south westren spices, black with Caribbean spices, found a Spanish cooking channel on you tube called Spain on a Fork and his beans and rice are outstanding. And a Greek channel called Dimitra’s Dishes that had beans and rice that was great.
I posted about grits not long ago. Folks luv ‘em or hate ‘em, not much take it or leave it.
Do you, all eat beans and rice? And how do you cook ‘em
tenngun:
LOVE beans n rice, LOVE grits too. My favorite beans n rice recipe is any Southwest version. I'm a huge fan of Turnip Greens, but there's no place around here to get them fresh? I've found canned turnip greens, but MAN they really SUCK!!! I always order them at Cracker Barrel. Not too bad there.
Thank you for starting this thread. I'm a foodaholic, but not meat.
Two Feathers

The real deal, true andoullie Cajun sausage these folks have it . They ship also. Give them a call. Just google
Bourgeois meat market, Thibodaux, La,
All of their products are great..!

tenngun:
LOVE beans n rice, LOVE grits too. My favorite beans n rice recipe is any Southwest version. I'm a huge fan of Turnip Greens, but there's no place around here to get them fresh? I've found canned turnip greens, but MAN they really SUCK!!! I always order them at Cracker Barrel. Not too bad there.
Thank you for starting this thread. I'm a foodaholic, but not meat.
Two Feathers
I have a 5-acre food plot all planted in Turnips, if you lived closer you could have all the greens you could eat.:thumb:

Back