• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Beans and rice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m making red beans and rice for dinner. It’s not wholly Cajun style but pretty tasty.
Love beans and rice, Cajun with red beans, pintos and south westren spices, black with Caribbean spices, found a Spanish cooking channel on you tube called Spain on a Fork and his beans and rice are outstanding. And a Greek channel called Dimitra’s Dishes that had beans and rice that was great.
I posted about grits not long ago. Folks luv ‘em or hate ‘em, not much take it or leave it.
Do you, all eat beans and rice? And how do you cook ‘em

I’m making red beans and rice for dinner. It’s not wholly Cajun style but pretty tasty.
Love beans and rice, Cajun with red beans, pintos and south westren spices, black with Caribbean spices, found a Spanish cooking channel on you tube called Spain on a Fork and his beans and rice are outstanding. And a Greek channel called Dimitra’s Dishes that had beans and rice that was great.
I posted about grits not long ago. Folks luv ‘em or hate ‘em, not much take it or leave it.
Do you have a link to her beans and rice dish. I love beans and rice

My mim used to buy me instant grits when i was a kid, but i’d swith back and forth between those and malt o meal. I’ve been cooking corn grits for my wife, and hiding a few shrimp under them occasionally. Ate at a cracker barrel for supper recently and ordered grits as a side. They were the biggest grind i’d ever met and i fell in love.

I read you can grind your own field corn for grits and cornbread as coarse as you want, i just need to find a grinder, not made in china.

“Corn dodgers - balls of hot water corn bread fried up in a big ladle o’ coon meat grease by my friend Chin Lee!”

Sorry, couldn’t resist!

don

Last edited:
Do you have a link to her beans and rice dish. I love beans and rice
This one was real close but hers used green pepper and not zucchini, and no pine nuts
0F8EC92A-646D-4397-AAE7-6A0B1A86D068.png

The recipe I use is a bit non-traditional and each time I have made it out on our range for a pot luck, it always gets raves and it has won several competitions there and in town. Everybody wants the recipe but no one has made it except one club member who promised me she would. Her second attempt won top prize at our Rondy pot luck. I was reluctant to give out the recipe when no one would actually make it and she surprised me by actually making it. It can be spicy and I often have to turn the heat down. I use ham, andouille, Louisiana Hot Sauce, garlic, onions, celery, tomato sauce and Cajun spices.

We made our favorite black beans and rice last night. Very simple, but good. Rinse all the guck off a can of black beans. Fry some onion and green pepper in a pot til soft. Add some green olives and capers and simmer a few minutes. Add a teaspoon of Badia or Goya brand Sazon seasoning (available in mexican/spanish shelves of grocery stores). Add enough water to just cover. Simmer while you make some rice. We like to mash up the beans a bit to thicken. Serve over rice. Enjoy.

Mine was red beans, just making it for me. My wife recently had abdominal surgery and is very limited in what she can eat.
1/4 cup dry red beans, cooked with just salt.
Then pour off the liquid and save. Fry 2 Oz chicken thigh, 2 Oz smoked sausage,2 Oz ham, 1/2 an onion, 1/2 green pepper, garlic, fry in a little olive oil, till chicken browned and onion translucent, add one serrano pepper, cumin, black pepper, red pepper. Add the beans in, half a cup dried rice and my bean water to one cup. Filled off with chicken broth to get my full cup. Boil till all fluid absorbed
Ummm

I'm Mexican by marriage so whole pintos (not refried) with garlic and salt. The rice is cooked in chicken broth with onions and tomato sauce. We often times we add potatoes in with the rice.

But to answer your question, I love red beans and rice, Cajun Style!

Bon Appetite!

Walt
Sounds good!

Never could copy/match the taste of beans from a Mexican restaurant.
Out mowing down the 6' fence line. Mexican lady next door cooking a pot of beans.
Smell drifting over the fence. Had to go in and get something to eat.
Love a good pot of beans, just spare some of the heat.
Beans, rice and Corn bread. Stick to your ribs. Nothing better. :thumb: :cool:

Never could copy/match the taste of beans from a Mexican restaurant.
Out mowing down the 6' fence line. Mexican lady next door cooking a pot of beans.
Smell drifting over the fence. Had to go in and get something to eat.
Love a good pot of beans, just spare some of the heat.
Beans, rice and Corn bread. Stick to your ribs. Nothing better. :thumb: :cool:
Stick to your ribs, that’s for sure. I love bean and beans and rice. Would have no trouble putting two thousand calories away from the bowl, with a couple or three of beers on the side.
I don’t seem to get a ‘hey your full’ signal when good beans are in the pot

Stationed at Camp Hansen, Okinawa U.S.M.C. after the fall of Saigon, do not know what happened but we ate red kidney beans and white rice for about 3 weeks, three meals a day, breakfast was rice over beans, lunch was beans over rice evening meal you had you choice but usually was beans on one side of the tray and rice on the other, if you was lucky you got a slice or two of bread no butter. It got to the point that there was a barracks black market for C-Rations until the Lt. discovered the plot and ended it.

Back