• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

beading videos?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Snellen

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello Y'all,
My daughter has gotten interested in bead work pre 1865. Are there any good videos that could be suggested?

Quill work doesn't interest her yet, but if she likes beading will probably come along. She is interested more on the how than on specific tribes. We will teach about specific tribes though.

Any help would be appreciated,
David

There are some good books with lots of photos and drawings that I think might be better than a video.

The Book of Buckskinning has some excellent instructions and pictures on beading, but I can remember which Volume II or III(?)....Maybe someone can help here, as mine are backed away.

Rick

I have the Carrie Lyford book, Quill and Beadwork of the Western Sioux. I think it is very good. Details single bead type found around the Great Lakes, the Western Lazy Stitch seen with the Sioux and in the Rockies, also how to use quills and what colors and patterns are appropriate. How to sew with sinew, how to use an awl so all the stitches are just on top.

Gentlemen,
I really appreciate your help. I thought about youtube but since I need specifically pre 1865 and I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what is pre 1865 I could get steered easily the wrong way. So again, any help is much appreciated.

David

Also known as "Pre-Reservation",, it's an interesting study and can be broken down into different geographical areas as well as individual Native nations.
Size and even the specific colors of beads enter the picture as minerals used for color where exhausted or changed.
The whole "glass beads" trade is fascinating, what folks don't consider is European traders where not just trading with North America,, it was a world wide with South America and Africa also a big part of industry.
300yr old beads can still be found, Green Hearts, Delph, Dutch Enamel, Milli-fore

David Snellen said:
Gentlemen,
I really appreciate your help. I thought about youtube but since I need specifically pre 1865 and I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what is pre 1865 I could get steered easily the wrong way. So again, any help is much appreciated.

David
Get a copy of Book of Buckskinning, vol 8, the article on pre-1850 beadwork by Allen Chronister is the best place to start regarding the subject and how the early beadwork began, changes, type of beads, etc. Then use the bibliography to further your search. Pre-rez period beadwork can differ significantly from the later beadwork using the small seed beads, albeit seed beads were used prior to 1840 despite many articles. In fact there are several myth-conceptions about beadwork that will get cleared up after reading the article.
Other resource for pre-Rez beadwork are the books including items collected by Lewis & Clark and other early expeditions. There are several early beaded items collected including dresses and a seminal pipe bag.
This will get you started and if you have any mre questions regarding the subject ask away.
FWIW -I've been studying and doing pre-Rez
beadwork fo over 40 years and by no means do I claim to be an expert, but I do have a good back ground in the methods, type of beads, etc. used prior to the Rez period.
The both early and late beadwork use essentially the same methods of application: lane (formerly Lazy) stitch and the applique stitch used for floral bead work (a Metis specialty that was later adapted by other tribes), but geometric beadwork was also done using the appliques stitch by tribes such as the Crow and Blackfeet. There are also some other variations of the above two methods such as the Crow stitch.
Anyway off to town for now....

There is also a magazine, Whispering Winds, which is dedicated to native crafts. It is not pre-1840 but some things are pre-1840. About 3-4 years ago there were some Eastern Cree moccasins- dated 1820.
Like everything else I got going on I made a lot of mistakes and had to re-learn. What I say here may be wrong but I think floral patterns were only worn by men- women had geometric patterns. Then various animals- such as a turtle have special symbolism. Tribes tended towards certain colors- white background or some other back ground.
As a mountain man all I wanted was a single row of white beads around the vamp of a moccasin however the subject is pretty complicated.
Sizes also changed in time- the tiny seed beads are of a later date.

crockett said:
Sizes also changed in time- the tiny seed beads are of a later date.

This is one of those myth conceptions that just won't die. While it's true that seed beads became more popular after 1840, the facts show via trade lists as well as archeological evidence that small beads were known and used prior to the later periods, on some pieces in particular some by the Crow and Comanche, use a mix of sizes.
Below is some info including dug beads from 1800 measuring as small as 20/0.
My own interest lies with the beads sewn on as decoration - i.e seed and pound (often/mistakenly called pony beads - a 20th Century historians description):
Info on these types:
1) A treatise on seed beads in the "Northwest" (they were used earlier than most think - all depends on time and place - the Metis were using them in the Great Lakes area by the late 1700's): http://www.northwestjournal.ca/IV2.htm

2) Museum of the Fur Trade Quarterly Vol 34, #4, Winter 1998 a sample pic of some excavated beads from the cover:
beads-1.jpg

3) Book of Buckskinning 8: Beadwork in the American West pre-1850 by Allen Chronister

4) Original Fur Trade lists - include "white" hearts, pound, seed, and more styles in several colors. Pound/seed: in white and blue - varying shades from sky, to grey, to navy being the most common in the earliest days: http://www.xmission.com/~drudy/mtman/bizrecs.html
some examples from the lists:
a) Trade List of John McKnight: 1822
20 bunches blue beads
17100 black wampum
11400 white do
3 1/2 lbs. blue beads

b) Fort Hall: 1834-39
10 bunches 2nd sized B. (blue?) beads 0.2 $2.0000
10 bunches 2nd sized green beads 0.2 $2.0000
4 bunches 2nd sized topaz beads 0.2 $0.8000
4 bunches 2nd sized black beads 0.2 $0.8000
6 bunches white 2nd sized beads 0.2 $1.2000
3 bunches large sized B. beads 0.2 $0.6000
2 bunches large sized topaz. beads 0.2 $0.4000
3 bunches large sized B. beads 0.2 $0.6000
2 bunches large sized topaz. beads 0.2 $0.4000
3 fathoms large white beads 0.055 $0.1650
21 fathoms large blue beads 5 1/2 cents
4 1/2 fathoms large blue beads 5 1/2 cents
18 fathoms large blue beads 5 1/2 cents
21 fathoms large white beads 5 1/2 cents
3 fathoms large blue beads 5 1/2 cents
37 1/2 bunches 2nd sized blue beads 20 cents
10 bunches 2nd sized green beads 20 cents
20 glass white 20 cents
25 glass beads cream 10 cents
3 fathoms large topaz 5 1/2 cents
8 lbs yellow seed beads 30 cents
25 bunches 2nd sized blk beads 20 cents
30 fathoms large uncut green 5 1/2 cents
19 3/4 lb white seed beads 27 cents
56 bunches white & claret s. beads 18 3/4 cents

26 bunches white round beads 11 cents
66 bunches white blue beads 11 cents

c) AMF - Upper Missouri Outfit: 1835
1115 1/2 lb blue pound beads
758 lb chalk white beads
80 lb black white beads
205 lb yellow - 285 pound
256 lb ruby white beads
150 lb deep blue pound beads in bunches of 2 lb each
358 lb black pound beads
415 lb. Chalk white pound beads

d} RMO: 1836
160 dz dark Blue Cut Glass beads
50 " White "
24 " Brown "
13 " Amber " 87 doz cut glass beads
10 " Light blue "
40 Yellow "
60 " Green " 110dos do. do.
125 Bunches Blue Snake Beads
75 " Amber & green " " 200 snake beads
25 " Mock Garnets
60 " Seed Beads assorted
127 @ White pound
50 " Blue "
50 " Black "
30 Bunches White Barley Corn
24 " " Agate Beads
24 " Blue " "
8500 White Wampum
5450 gross Blk "
40 Wampum Hairpipes

Note that by the late 1830's the number of colors and styles had increased. Also note the continued use of wampum, both for beads and hair pipes. Whether the wampum is the "real McCoy" or the glass imitation type it is not clear - most likely the latter? According to R. F. Kurz who worked as clerk at Ft. Union circa 1851, beadwork had almost completely supplanted quillwork, which had still been quite common in the mid-1830's (see Bodmer and Catlin for examples of western quillwork mixed with beadwork.)

5) the book "Arts of Diplomacy: Lewis & Clark's Indian Collection" shows some excellent examples of pr-1840 beadwork

FWIW - pound beads go way back:
these are from the wreck of LaSalle's ship off Texas in the late 1600's:
beads-3.jpg

and here's a selection of pound beads from the Great Lakes area (circa late 1700's) it's included in the book "Where Two Worlds Meet":
beads-3.jpg

Thank you for busting some of the myth, like I said earlier it is an interesting study, I hope that David Snellen's daughter does indeed find and keep an interest.
FWIW, I've been following your works for years now, :bow:

GREAT INFORMATION!! Wow! That is wonderful to see some of those photos. I will look up the article and get #8.
Thank you so much. I really hope she keeps the interest. She leans toward the old ways.
David

Back