• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barricade?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should Barricade be cleaned out of the barrel before shooting black powder or black powder substitutes through it?
[/Some say you don't have to wipe Barricade out because it drys out to create a protective film. If you want to be sure just run a alcohol patch on a jag down the barrel before you shoot.

As @Prairieofthedog stated, the propellant and carrier in Barricade will evaporate leaving a thin film of rust inhibiting lubricant in the bore. Certainly, if the firearm is stored muzzle down after cleaning there may well be no need to wipe the bore with rubbing alcohol or brake cleaner. I am just more certain of reliable performance if I wipe the bore with alcohol,

Yep, quick alcohol patch for me too
Pool
People who have misfires and wet oily powder don’t clean their rifle before shooting. I don’t care what’s in the barrel I’m going to clean the barrel, nipple/touch hole with brake cleaner or alcohol prior to shooting. Let it evaporate then shoot.
This question wasn't about running a patch down the barrel before shooting, it was about whether the barricade film has to be removed prior to shooting. I take it it does not. BTW I never have wet, oily, gunpowder.

Run your rod down with a dry or damp patch, not so much to clean it but to be sure
it is not already loaded. Handle and point the gun AS IF IT IS LOADED & CAPPED.
When the gun is fired any protective film will be stripped off in the first few shots.

I got a surprise the other day, I have always trusted barricade to protect my barrels. After months of rain and the purchase of a new Teslong bore scope I found surface rust in every one of my B/P barrels, back to 30wt motor oil or Rig gun grease for me.

As a footnote; I store my rifles in a gun safe out in a small utility room open to the garage, not in my climate controlled house. I have a safe heater rod in my safe that keeps the safe warm but apparently not enough.

I leave Barricade in my barrels and go to the range, load and fire. No special prep.

Just a side note, I'm told Barricade is the same type of material used in protecting equipment in the tool and die industry. Maybe someone can check me on that.

Should Barricade be cleaned out of the barrel before shooting black powder or black powder substitutes through it?
Yeah, just part of routine. Probably would be burned up by the powder ignition, though, so not dangerous it'd think.
I leave Barricade in my barrels and go to the range, load and fire. No special prep.
Yeah, I guess the burning powder evaporates it. You're right.

I checked out customer reviews and the problems are the sprayer clogging and it tends to not do well with plastic. Not knocking the product, EVERYONE seems to LIKE IT for PREVENTING RUST.

“Yep, quick alcohol patch for me too”
Sorry guys I have to ask... for those of you that swab with alcohol to get any oil out. Do you use rubbing alcohol on a patch ?

No, you don't have to wipe the bore before shooting when you use Barricade. Back when I used oil in the bore you HAD to swab the bore with an alcohol patch. When I discovered Barricade I still ran a dry patch down the bore prior to going to the range our the woods. But sometimes I forgot or simply didn't want to bother wiping the bore so fired the gun without worrying about the Barricade. But I always wipe the pan/frizzen with an alcohol patch and poke the vent hole with a pipe cleaner.

Back