• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barricade Use

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Grentus

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone here use Barricade to oil their CW Repro musket after a hot water/soapy washing? I have Ballistol as well but heard better results from Barricade. Please advise a novice here. Thank you very much.

gh

I haven't used Barricade but know it is a rust protectant.
Ballistol is a lubricant that does a pretty good job of cleaning also. But, it is not a rust protectant.
Use Ballistol to lube. Use Barricade to protect from rust.

I have an unused diaper that is relegated to wiping down the exterior of guns. It is sprayed with barricade and does an excellent job. If I am putting up a gun for more than a day or so, I swab the barrel with a patch sprayed with barricade. Except for RIG I think it's the best rust protector out there.

After using hot soapy water, and pumping it through the bore with patches until clean, I then flush the bore with WD-40, and use cleaning patches until they come out dry. After that I use a patch with Barricade on it to swab the bore. So far, so good. The Barricade seems to protect very well.

Rick

"Hi, my name's Tom and I'm a Barricade user" :grin: . Barricade is great stuff and I rely on it.

I use Birchwood Casey Barricade to protect all of my guns after I've cleaned them.

Before Barricade, I used Birchwood Casey Sheath which proceeded Barricade.

Both of them have proven to be excellent at preventing rust for long periods of time.

An additional benefit is they almost totally dry so they don't leave any oily deposits on the metal.
That makes using alcohol or some other oil remover totally unnecessary before loading and shooting black powder.

Great product and I highly recommend it to all gun owners. :thumbsup:

No need for hot or even warm water, plus it can cause more problems than it solves.

I use room temp water, Ballistol, then Barricade. I'll skip the Barricade if I know if I'm going to definitely shoot the same arm again in a few days.

I've used it for years and Sheath prior to changing names. You can't go wrong in my opinion, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Rifleman1776 said:
We have about a dozen gun shops in my area. Not one carries Barricade or even knows what it is. Only one carries Ballistol and the others do not know what it is.

My experience too, except for boxes of individually-wrapped wipes I have been using for trapguns during "the season" for years. We don't "clean" our expensive competition guns when they're getting used every week (though I use a wipe in halves outside, on the action, and pushed through the chamber and bore after every day's use -- lol)...

I have decided on relying on mineral oil ("liquid paraffin" in the Commonwealth nations) for the metal protectant. Just bought two 100% USP Grade pints for $11. The wood was getting an overcoat of Vitamin E stabilized mineral oil, beeswax, and carnauba wax gel anyway.

I use Barricade- formerly marketed as Sheath- for rust protection after cleaning with kitchen tap hot water and dish soap to clean barrel and lock. A cleaning patch is dampened well with Barricade, and rubbed all over the lock and exterior metal parts of the rifle. A second patch is dampened and run through the barrel several times. The rifle stands nose down in the corner with the rod and patch in place for two-three days, with the patch cycled at least once a day.

Arms protected this way showed no signs of rust a week after the floods of last September, when our basement stayed very damp, damp enough to cause ceiling tiles to sag.

White Fox, in the People's Republic of Boulder

"No need for hot or even warm water, plus it can cause more problems than it solves."

Skip the hot water, causes too many problems.

I get to shoot with a bunch of the top shooters in the country. Not one of them has hot water on the line at the end of the day to clean with.

They have their favorite cleaning solution, most here would not believe what is consists of.

After cleaning, they use a petroleum based protective lubricant until the next day.

After the last day, more of a cleaning, more petroleum based lubricant and off to home for a good cleaning.

In order, Cynthia Lee's 3 n 1 Oil or Barricade followed by Rem-Oil.

After cleaning I run a patch soaked with Barricade followed with a patch coated with Rig and it will last til next season. Never a problem with rust and simple clean out with rubbing alchol. Good stuff. :thumbsup: Dan.

Unless you live in a tropical climate and have no climate controlled gun safe, Barricade is all you need to keep rust off your guns. If you plan to store them for a long time, RIG is a good idea but for the average person living in a normal climate or someone, like me, who has a climate controlled gun safe putting RIG in and on your gun is overkill. Sort of "belt and suspenders". Don't get me wrong, RIG is great stuff and will keep rust off you guns for a long time but is only necessary for long storage or tropical climates. So, if you want to use it for day to day storage, that's up to you. It is good stuff but it is a bit more mess to clean up before shooting your gun the next time.

Back