• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Barricade For Long Term Storage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I’ve been using Ballistol for a long time now. Initially, just with my rifle, I noticed it needed an application every 6-9 months (I blame this on having had issues with Pyrodex rusting, which is another story). However over a period of time when I’ve checked it seems to handle over a year. But I may need some long time storage where I likely won’t have access to it for God knows how long, and so I’m not wanting to rely on Ballistol as so many feel it’s not good long term.

Is this the Barricade that people hold in high esteem?

https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Ca...&keywords=barricade+oil&qid=1590946052&sr=8-2

That's it.
Really good stuff.
It is very watery when it comes out of the can but after wiping your metal parts with it (like the bore) it dries forming a rustproof layer.

I used to rely on Ballistol also. I liked it because it is not supposed to harm wood or leather. But I found out Barricade works better in the long term and it is my go to lube now. But the last can I purchased, I had to buy online. None of the gun shops I haunt had any and said they could not get it.

I mostly like Ballistol because it replaced WD-40 to ensure any moisture left wasn’t an issue and didn’t need to be removed before oiling as it is oil. I’ve been quite pleased really, and don’t mind the smell at all. I’ve also figured I need to try it as a patch lube since it seems to work well for some. And it’s worked quite well on both of my revolvers for well beyond a year. I’ve only reapplied it just because.

We’ve decided to get an RV and check out the US for at least a year. I want to know it will be fine, and am considering leaving it at the in-laws. He has a few guns so I’m sure it will be cozy and comforted by company.

I think the price of that Barricade can is cheap insurance. And maybe I’ll see about bringing it, though weight is potentially an issue, and I know SWMBO would complain regardless.

I mostly like Ballistol because it replaced WD-40 to ensure any moisture left wasn’t an issue and didn’t need to be removed before oiling as it is oil. I’ve been quite pleased really, and don’t mind the smell at all. I’ve also figured I need to try it as a patch lube since it seems to work well for some. And it’s worked quite well on both of my revolvers for well beyond a year. I’ve only reapplied it just because.

We’ve decided to get an RV and check out the US for at least a year. I want to know it will be fine, and am considering leaving it at the in-laws. He has a few guns so I’m sure it will be cozy and comforted by company.

I think the price of that Barricade can is cheap insurance. And maybe I’ll see about bringing it, though weight is potentially an issue, and I know SWMBO would complain regardless.
There's a guy on YouTube who is an engineer & does great comparison testing. Recently he tested various products for corrosion resistance & good old 3 in 1 oil beat everything. You might want to check it out. Just do a search on corrosion test comparison. Channel is Project something or other. If I can find a link I'll post it.

I’m guessing that’s much harder to apply though, no? I like the ease of using a patch down the bore and a cloth on the outside, which might not be bad.
Yes it will be somewhat messy and harder to deal with. I’ve only used it in the bore.
Just started using Barricade a few months ago mainly because it’s supposed to dry and not be so critical to clean it out before loading your first shot.

Back