• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrels Silver Soldered or Brazed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive never done an under rib. If I had to I would try and bolt it down with shallow screws, at least 3-4 for a 34 inch barrel. My 1803 rifle has the under rib bolted on with 8/40 counter bored screws.

One way Id consider doing it is to sweat solder it on with clamps.

For my underlugs on round barrels I braze them on with brass welding rods, same with front sightS (turtle sights and barrel band brass blade sights).

I tend to avoid silver solder if possible, the bernzomatic bronze welding rods are great and work much better. Working temp is around 1400 degrees I use a jewlers torch.

Nick,
Brazing will work, but not at all necessary.
Soft soldering is Quite adequate and has been used by The Gun Trade for hundreds of years.

I agree a good sliver soldering will work, especially if you’re lacking high temperature torches, a simple propane torch will work fine for that.

For me, I prefer to braze with the brass or bronze or nickel rods.

The nickle or bronze is also great for repairs its toughness replaces areas where metal is cracked or worn very well.

Here in this picture I weld repaired a charleville barrel band, the casting didnt come out really well, one side was much thinner and shorter than the other.

Front sight is also welded on with a bronze rod.

Attachments

• C09648B9-9E74-4728-BA69-B143D40AF8F1.jpeg
    C09648B9-9E74-4728-BA69-B143D40AF8F1.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 67
Back