• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel wedge fit and accuracy ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Does the tightness of fit of the barrel wedge effect accuracy ? How tight or loose is to much, to the point it will cause inconsistences in groups ? Is there a rules of thumb for the fit of the wedge ? Just curious, thanks.

Does the tightness of fit of the barrel wedge effect accuracy ? How tight or loose is to much, to the point it will cause inconsistences in groups ? Is there a rules of thumb for the fit of the wedge ? Just curious, thanks.
The only rule of thumb I have for wedges is to be consistent in how I insert them. I have found ‘consistency’ to be the number thing for accuracy, with some things having a big impact while others having minimal influence. To keep my wedges consistent (same direction, not flipped over, in the right position (double wedge guns), and in the correct gun for example), I pin or capture my wedges in the stock. Plus it also makes it very difficult if not impossible to lose a properly pinned wedge. The ‘capture’ pin is placed under or behind the slotted inlay, and goes through a slot in the wedge key. The pin is just visible in the slot in the photograph. You can purchase slotted wedges or alter the ones you have.
1653921866847.jpeg

If you're really worried about it, find a way to firmly and consistently seat the wedge.

I'm personally inclined to think that unless your rear sight is tang mounted, and not both rear and front mounted on the barrel, you won't find an issue with small inconsistencies. Even if it is tang mounted, any such differences in wedge seating probably won't be the biggest cause of accuracy problems.

I recently purchased an older CVA that was missing a barrel wedge. I had a spare that was slightly undersized. I was able to snug it up with some shim stock. The rifle shoots as well as my others and I’ve noticed no movement or “wiggle”. It fits snugly, but not overly so. It can be inserted and removed with thumb pressure.

Latest posts

Back