• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Barrel wedge DIRECTION

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUNKS

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi I am in the UK and have just acquired my first percussion shotgun. I notice that my barrel wedge is not pinned and I am afraid of losing it. What my question is -- Do the wedges ALWAYS go in right to left and have they always done so? I am puzzled because there is evidence on my gun of there once being a pin but it is on the left which means my wedge originally went in left to right. The gun is English and made 1835. The wedge seems to fit much the same either way..
Thanks.

Thanks I think I will replace the thin wire retainer. Dont want to lose the wedge.

I believe all of my originals built in the 1800's have them left to right.

Fleener

Most will have the wedge go in the direction as the lock nails (bolts) or from the left side toward the right side. Keeping the barrel attached to the stock is the important criteria.

Just be careful not to install them upside down.

(And yes, I know that with twice barreled carabines that’s a thing...)

In most cases it is preference. When I first got my rifle the wedge was in from left to right. I found while still hunting and cradle carrying the rifle I didn't like the feel of the protruding end of the pin digging into the palm of my right hand. I have put it in from right to left ever since with no issues.
I don't care for a loose wedge pin, especially one so loose that I'm worried it may fall out. I'd put a bit of bend in the pin or tap the tenon closed a bit until it was nice and firm.
If I don't have to use a brass tool and hammer to tap out the wedge pin it is too loose. Right or wrong, that's how I like them.

My experience is that British makers inserted the wedges from the left, and most American makers from the right. Not sure about European makers.

mhb - MIke

IME, loose wedges can sometimes be tightened via placing each end of the wedge (off the gun) slightly atop a set of 2 steel blocks (like vise jaws) then tapping the middle/un-supported section of the wedge enough to slightly curve the wedge for a tighter fit.

It's just my habit to install them right to left. I read somewhere R to L was preferred because there's less chance of accidentally pushing them loose if you shoot right handed.

i always buy a little longer wedges than comes with the gun. one faces one way the other wedge faces the other. what diff does it make? none at all.

I always go left to right. Had a right to left wedge push loose once when I put the rifle down on it's left side which pushed the wedge out just enough to come loose.

Since I am a righty - I push them in left to right.
That way if one is working it's way to freedom, I'll see it when I shoulder up.
In my Kodiak - the key is slotted and captive - I like that method too and will likely convert some of my other guns with wedges over to that.

Back