• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel Wear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm a machinist and decided to check the inside diameter of my .54 cal. GPR against 2 new .54 cal GPR barrels. I have put approximately 1000 rounds through my first one and used gage pins from work to do my measuring. Both the old and the new barrels measure .543 inside diameter. I use a muzzle protector every time I load and I only shoot patched round balls. If this is any indication of how long a barrel will last with reasonable care using a muzzle protector, then I would think that most barrels should last a lifetime.

Have a friend who kept good records on how many balls went thru his GM .45 barrels, percussion and flint.

His records showed 20,000 each with no loss of accuracy.

I met a man years ago at a rendezvous who kept a log of how many shots he fired with his target rifle. At that time he had fired over 8000 rounds and was still using the same size ball and patch thickness.He won the match! So I assume the barrel was still good.

Back