• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

barrel runout

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coupe

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I was out to the range and watched a gent having a lot of problems sighting in his 50 cal. at 50 yds it was grouping 4" left. He moved the front sight to within 1/8 " of the left edge of the flat with the base of the sight hanging out, and the rear right to have 1/8th" of the base over hang. This got him the 4" group to the left, when he asked me to try it I put them very close to his, poa was dead center of the bull. I believe the run out was not put vertically but horizontally he wants to bend the barrel I don't know if that will work. Maybe a new barrel is best he says it's goofed up so he can't do much worse. Hope he won't go to far, hope I see him later to see results.
coupe

Moving a front sight to the left on a gun that's shooting left will move the bullet impact to the right.

You didn't mention which direction the rear sight was drifted.

If the rear sight was drifted left, the gun would begin shooting to the left again.

I'm surprised you're on paper at all moving that front sight so far off center.

64springer exactly as stated moving the front that far left only gets him to 4” to the left group! Again the post says the rear was moved RIGHT! And I was shocked to see the sights like that and only getting 4” groups left of the bull. Bet it would not paper at 100!
I hope he talks to them before he tries to bend it!

64springer exactly as stated moving the front that far left only gets him to 4” to the left group! Again the post says the rear was moved RIGHT! And I was shocked to see the sights like that and only getting 4” groups left of the bull. Bet it would not paper at 100!
I hope he talks to them before he tries to bend it!
Sorry.

Missed the rear to the Right part.

If it was exceptionally accurate I'd just scope it

Trying to get a new barrel out of Traditions will probably be a PITA for him and if he bought it used, someone dumped their turd on him and he's stuck with it most likely.

I know a guy who bent a .303 Enfield barrel between 2 trees and fixed the windage of a rifle that had been used and abused.

There's many factors here.....where he bought it from, new or used, we don't know what load the guy was using, it may hit dead nuts with something different, etc.

The group was 3” but 4” to the left which was the best at 70 grs. Of 2f black. More or less only opened up the group, didn’t ask where or when he got it.

If it was a new gun bought by him, he could get a barrel out of Traditions. A used gun no deal. Modify the sights and live with it. My Son has an inexpensive flintlock with the front sight riding on the right side of the barrel. We cut and filed the base so it didn't overhang the barrel. Shoots great.

How are you defining & measuring barrel runout?
Is this bore straightness, bore index, barrel straightness, bedded overall straightness?

barrel runout is nothing more than the bore not dead center. When made the bore may not be centered, so generally the off center would be placed in the vertical plane….either up or down which is corrected with the sights. It can be measured by mechanical calipers ( the pinch kind) one wall will be thicker than the other, stands to reason if it is off center, and it may not be by much but enough to throw it off.

ASSUMING Traditions will not supply a new barrel.

You can bend the barrel, lots of information on this site regarding that, use a press and go gently, forget the trees.

File the muzzle, a little file work on the left side of the muzzle will make the ball go to the right.

While I was out to the range today I ran into the gent with the barrel problem. He bent it himself with a press and dial indicator, pushed it to .060 and received a five thou. Static deflection which stayed. As he shot I saw marked improvement with the sites centered windage was right on. He was working on his spread, his last 3 shots were inside a 3 “ circle at 100 yds. Bench rest. So good job to him!

Back