• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Barrel Rebore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thekingd93

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have a TC Hawken barrel .50 cal 1:48 twist, 15/16 across the flats, still shoots good but I'm thinking about getting it rebored to a .54 cal once the rifling is shot out. Comparing it to an unfired barrel I have I'd say it probably has 40-50% life left in it. Hard to say but as much as I shoot it with a variety of conicals and round balls I'm sure eventually it will wear out. Anyways who/where would be the best place to send it to get rebored to a 54 cal? Machine Shop/gunsmith. I'm just thinking ahead. Thank you in advance.

I have a TC Hawken barrel .50 cal 1:48 twist, 15/16 across the flats, still shoots good but I'm thinking about getting it rebored to a .54 cal once the rifling is shot out. Comparing it to an unfired barrel I have I'd say it probably has 40-50% life left in it. Hard to say but as much as I shoot it with a variety of conicals and round balls I'm sure eventually it will wear out. Anyways who/where would be the best place to send it to get rebored to a 54 cal? Machine Shop/gunsmith. I'm just thinking ahead. Thank you in advance.
Pretty hard to “ shoot out “ a barrel.
Patches are very mildly abrasive, but it would take tens of thousands of shots with patched balls to do that.
Have Bobby Hoyt reline it and stay with .50, unless you are going to hunt moose or grizzly bears.

If the rifling is not top notch, Hoyt could simply make a few passes with a cutter to take a few thousandths off the lands and grooves without really changing the caliber.
Gunsmiths and barrel makers have been doing it for 300 years or more and it is called “ freshing “ out the barrel “
May have to go with a slightly thicker patch after this is done.

Last edited:
There is only one place to send it:
Bobby Hoyt
Freischutz Shop
2379 Mt Hope Rd
Fairfield, PA 17320-9756
(717) 642- 6696

If you can't get ahold of him just pack it up along with a note telling him what you want and send it off.
He did mine back in Feb. of this year 50 to 54 1-60, very happy with everything, fast turn around, faIr amount of money. Very good work.

Pretty hard to “ shoot out “ a barrel.
Patches are very mildly abrasive, but it would take tens of thousands of shots with patched balls to do that.
Have Bobby Hoyt reline it and stay with .50, unless you are going to hunt moose or grizzly bears.

If the rifling is not top notch, Hoyt could simply make a few passes with a cutter to take a few thousandths off the lands and grooves without really changing the caliber.
Gunsmiths and barrel makers have been doing it for 300 years or more and it is called “ freshing “ out the barrel “
May have to go with a slightly thicker patch after this is done.
Thanks for the info. Always am learning as much as possible

Back