• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Barrel rebore service

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my barrel back from Mr. Hoyt last Mon. I called him around Noon at his shop and he answered on the 3rd ring. figured that would be his lunch break. he charged me $230 for sleeve, patched 2 holes and tap for a new nipple. I would send them to him with a letter. When I called him and asked him about the work I wanted done, his reply was as soon as it gets here the sooner it is inline to be worked. It sounded like first come first done. So I would just send them with a note. He never called me to let me know it was done and wait for payment. No sir he sent my barrel back with invoice and just asking for payment.

Ed Rayl is best contacted with an early morning call, before he starts up machines. I also send notes and requests via postal service, he's very good with answers, just very busy making and re-boring barrels.

Since Bobby Hoyt is difficult to contact, does anyone know if Boby needs to remove the breech plug on a rifle to rebore it? Also can he re-tap the 5/16" powder drum hole to the next size up? I have a 1850's Ohio style rifle, with a breech plug that probably has never been removed? I am considering to have the rifle re-bored.

I have several blank belgium side by side barrels. One side shotgun the other for rifling. Would any one know if the mentioned machinists can set up for offset reboring. Sound like those mentioned are very busy and take along time to reply.

Bobby Hoyt can do double barrels. He lined a Belgian 12 ga. damascus cartridge shotgun for me. It was pitted to the point where it was unsafe and I wanted to save it. He returned it as a 20 ga. with choked liners and a modified extractor. I knew it wouldn't be a 12 when it was done and told him a 16 would be great. He said he would have to see after it was bored but more likely it would be a 20 and I'm fine with that. I now have a fine shooting mule ear double for a total investment of $250 + the return shipping ($10 I think). I had inherited the gun about 50 years ago.

Sent 3 barrels off today with a note. 2- 1” barrels to become.58 cal rb barrels and one 15/16 to become a .54 slow twist as well. Hopefully they arrive in one piece. I put a note in with my information and described the work I’d like done.

I almost thought about sending some cash with to cover part of the bill but I was not sure if that would have been ok with him.

Ive never sent a barrel to Mr Hoyt . Though Ide love to get some barrels sorted .All I can asses of his work is that he his practicaly a Deity / God like and all strenght to his bow .
Sincerely Rudyard

And likely the reason he's always slammed with business. LOL

Rick
Yes, he needs to remove the breech plug. Yes he can drill/tap the drum hole if the barrel is large enough. He is not an amateur, actually I believe he is some kind of magician.
I don't have a barrel that needs to be rebored. However, I have read so many positive posts about Bobby Hoyt and the magic he works, I'm just going to find some barrel and send it to him. I just feel I need to have a barrel that he has worked on. :ghostly:

Latest posts

Back