• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitchyPine

69 Cal.
Reaction score
It will be a while before I get to choosing the barrel for the canon i`m going to try and build, but I have a couple questions for you guys before that time comes.
First i would like to have a barrel that is 2 1/2 inch. so it can shoot tennis balls.
This canon will be the removable breech type and I want to be able to make smoke with as little powder as possible. Now figuring the powder and ball will be loaded in the removable breech if one only put say 100 grains of powder in then a ball, because of the size of the bore the powder will be completely covered with the ball. I don`t see how a smaller sub chamber would work out either. In one of the video`s the guy pounded a wood stave down the breech on top of the powder i assume to take up space then loaded the ball down the barrel but i`m not sure.
Any advice would be appreciated before i get to making the barrel. I want to be able to load powder and ball in the removable breech. Also i`d like to use FF powder which only makes the problem worse i suppose.
My thought and fear is with that big of bore and that small amount of powder that the the flash in the touch hole won`t even reach the powder.
Please help with these questions because they are holding up the thought process of building the rest of the canon if ya know what i mean. :hmm:

i have heard people using a disc or a sabot like thing after the powder on these types of guns, im not too sure but i think it helps or u might burn the ball.
as for the touch hole if it is drilled into a small powder chamber it shouldnt be much of a problem, if rifles are done the same then this is no problem.

with that bore size u could probably step up the charge a bit to 150gr- 200gr and no probs?

If i`m understanding correctly if ya have a sub chamber say 3/4 in in diamiter and three inches long in the bottom of the mug then the rest of the way be bore size. You would have to pour the powser in the sub channel with a funnel because it would be way down in the bottom of the mug then seat the ball or what ever on top of that. Am i understanding this correctly, in other words like you said make it just like a rifle with a patented breech.

That is what I am gathering from the description Lenn. Maybe instead of a flat step from the powder chamber to where the ball will be, you could machine it in a manner that the step will be rounded in the shape of the ball. You won't need a funnel with that.

If that`s an appropriate way of making it then it`s no big deal to use a funnel to load the mug. Where`d all the canon builders go around here or ain`t they talkin.

Strykerdlh said:
That is what I am gathering from the description Lenn. Maybe instead of a flat step from the powder chamber to where the ball will be, you could machine it in a manner that the step will be rounded in the shape of the ball. You won't need a funnel with that.

Hey buddy i wasn`t insinuating your reply wasn`t a good idea, was just wondering where all the other canon builders went.
I think that would be a good idea, in fact i plan on plugging the end of the mug with about a three inch long piece of shaft with the sub chamber already drilled. I will weld and pin that in place, so it would be an easy task to put a beval on the top of that hole. :thumbsup:
Unless someone lets us know that ain`t a good idea. :hmm:

PitchyPine said:
Hey buddy i wasn`t insinuating your reply wasn`t a good idea, was just wondering where all the other canon builders went.
I think that would be a good idea, in fact i plan on plugging the end of the mug with about a three inch long piece of shaft with the sub chamber already drilled. I will weld and pin that in place, so it would be an easy task to put a beval on the top of that hole. :thumbsup:
Unless someone lets us know that ain`t a good idea. :hmm:

The thought never crossed my mind. Where have all of the cannon makers gone???

ya, i would make it like that, wile i am not a cannon maker, i do have expearence and have researched these arms for many years.

u may not need to use a funnel, it may just fall into place if u shake it a bit so it settles down the hole.

so what ignition type are u going to use, quills/tubes or just priming and a linstock?

Thanks mckutzy, I plan on priming and using a linstock.
I just realized i have a two foot piece of 2 1/2 ID tube out in the shop that i`ll make a few mugs from. So all i need is about three feet for the barrel, that should be a good length don`t ya think.

most of the mugs i have seen are made one piece, turned on a lathe, now thats a sizeable chunk of metal to drill/bore out for a ball, if u dont have the lathe powerfull enough to do that.

I have the lathe, a 18 by 6 foot but thought the other way would be easier and have read of many welding plus pinning. Will see how it goes. :thumbsup:

I know this is only a small one. It has a 20mm bore but idea is close to what your after I hope.

1002024.jpg

aryrose2.jpg

1002019.jpg

I dont have it set up to have the ball in the breach as well but slide the ball into the bore then fit the breach in after it. So you can have a good size bore with out the hassel of a breach size problem. If off the track your after, ignore me :)

Owen

That looks like a good start but I think I would want more than a wood breech block/wedge assembly to keep that mug in place. Is this a work in progress or have you fired it and if so what sort of projectile?

I have based this on the Mary Rose cannon.
http://www.christopp.co.uk/mary_rose_cannon-142.html

I have the making of this cannon on a vid from the royal armouries in England. Great to see how they did it.

I have only shot this with blank rounds at the moment but will try shot and round balls from a safe distance with a long fuse. :)

Owen

Runnball, i think your asking owen right?
Owen, great canon and pics thanks.
I`m basically building the same type canon but mine is going to have the projectile and powder in the canister.
Here`s what i`m building off from.

click here

Yes I was and those are great looking breechloaders. I noticed that on those guns they appeared to have a metal backing plate with a long tounge with through bolts for locking everything in place. The plate distributes the recoil force evenly on the wood carriage.
:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back