• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Barrel question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I bought a Lancaster rifle off of Tip Curtis last year and it has a 54 cal. Green Mountain swamped barrel on it. It shoots accurately, but It shoots too far left. I had to move the front sight off to the left and the back sight off to the right to get it to shoot to point of aim and I don't like the sights to be that far off center of the barrel because it looks goofy. So is my only option to fix this to remove the barrel and slightly bend it to bring everything into alignment?

I had the same problem with an FCI / Charles Burton barrel. When I looked down the top flat, I could visibly see a bend in it. The bend put me about 6" to the right at 25 yards (with centered sights). It took a few goes at it on the bench, but eventually I did get it bent back to the point it's acceptable. It's not as hard as it may seem, but you have to push on it harder than you think to get the bend to take the set right.

If you look at old videos of how they made M1 Garands, you can see there was a whole work station with several guys at it dedicated to tweaking barrels that were out of alignment. They did it all by eye too.

I have a nos T/C .50 cal that out at Hoyts. No matter what I tried I could not get it to zero in.
Bobby stated that it might have been some QC issues as it was not ringed and the bore looked great.
I am sure he will deal with it accordingly whatever the issue

SM

Well, barrels use to be bored on center and exit not exactly center on the out side. I don't know if this holds true today or not. The barrels I have used I found the end the exit hole was and placed this end on the breech end with the off center on the bottom. The elevation could be adjusted for the point of impact. If the barrel is placed with the out drill to one side it would shoot left or right.
This has been my experience of the past, but with laser boring now days, this shouldn't be a problem with keeping the bore straight.

If you look at old videos of how they made M1 Garands, you can see there was a whole work station with several guys at it dedicated to tweaking barrels that were out of alignment. They did it all by eye too.

There is a video on youtube of Pedersoli straightening barrels by eye.
Here it is barrel straightening starts at the 6:12 mark.

A barrel can have a bore centered at both ends but the hole is not straight. Think of a gentle arc. Green Mountain barrels will be hard to bend. But sounds like it must be done.

Back