• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

barrel or rebore??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To have it re-bored by Hoyt it will most likely be around $150 to $175 (my guess - I had a barrel re-bored some years back and it was $125). If you buy a new barrel it will be at least $200 or above for a new or GOOD used barrel - you decide -- :dunno: :thumb::ThankYou:

well you guys gave me the reason to buy another rifle thanks:ThankYou::ghostly:

Hah, we are always eager to help. I too wonder if Hoyt could or would be willing to debreech that system. Maybe he can re bore without disassembly.

If he can, you would have a very good barrel for less money.

Very happy with my 20 gauge, .625, 5/8” rebore of a 1976 .50 CVA Percussion Frontier. Hard work but worth it. I found a Genuine CVA lock, of the same style and year (which looked small and cheap) but has always sparked and fired and is tough as nails. Rifled barrel shot 1&1/2” groups at 50 yards but now1&1/which looked small and cheap2

I don’t know the time frames or cost. Will a rebore be cheaper then a new barrel? How long will it take?
I can’t see an advantage of one over the other
The rebore will almost certainly be cheaper and faster. If it has a hooked breech it will still fit up okay when Bobby Hoyt sends the rebored or re-lined barrel back to you.

Last edited:
I would buy a .54, sell the .50 only in case of starvation.
If you could stand to lose a few pounds (like me) put down the fork and buy a Third rifle!

I would keep the 50 and just buy a new or used 54 caliber rifle. You would then have 2 guns. You can always sell one of them. Look at it this way, if you like the 50 and then learn that you don't like the 54 it would be better to have the 50 to fall back on.

Traditions St. Louis Hawken is an entry level rifle, so why spend the $$ on a recut or new barrel? Just buy a rifle in .54. Besides, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a .50.

Traditions St. Louis Hawken is an entry level rifle, so why spend the $$ on a recut or new barrel? Just buy a rifle in .54. Besides, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a .50.
[/QUOTE
I didn’t mean to disparage the St. Louis Hawken. They’re great little rifles & well worth the cost, but why not enjoy it as is (.50 cal.) & save your money for a .54 cal rifle.

Back