• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel material

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JB Books

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Why don't custom side lock builders as well as mass produced reproduction companies such as Uberti, Pietta, etc use CHF ( cold hammer forged ) thus eliminating blown barrels from smokeless muzzleloader type powders?

Could you explain how cold hammer forging would eliminate "blown barrels" please. Not sure where one would buy "smokeless muzzleloader type powder". Where do you get yours?

Don't have any. But there is a product called Accurate 5547 that I've read about but it won't work in traditional muzzleloaders. It generates a much different pressure wave.

CHF is a process. It is mainly used for high volume builds to make production cheaper and keep quality high. The downside is the tooling and machinery are very expensive. Amongst other reasons there is simply not enough demand for a particular muzzleloader barrel to make a company go down that path.

Don't have any. But there is a product called Accurate 5547 that I've read about but it won't work in traditional muzzleloaders. It generates a much different pressure wave.
It's not designed for "traditional muzzleloaders".

From their web site,
"Accurate 5744 is an extremely fast burning, double-base, extruded powder. This unique powder can be used in a wide range of rifle calibers and magnum handguns. 5744 is characterized by excellent ignition and consistency over a very wide performance range. Low bulky density and superior ignition characteristics make 5744 an excellent choice for reduced loads in many rifle calibers and in large capacity black powder cartridges such as the 45-70 through 45-120 and 50-90 through 50-120. Made in Canada."

I went on the Accurate web site no such powder is listed.

It is 5744 and is the recommended powder In the savage. Obviously not for use in almost every other front stiffer ever made.

Why don't custom side lock builders as well as mass produced reproduction companies such as Uberti, Pietta, etc use CHF ( cold hammer forged ) thus eliminating blown barrels from smokeless muzzleloader type powders?
Price point would be one of the big reasons why. Folks complain today what things cost. Plus it’s not really necessary if you play by the well established rules of the traditional muzzleloader game.

And if you research ‘smokeless muzzleloader’ you will find that they are blown up on a somewhat regular basis, often with significant bodily injury to the operator. There are some pretty graphic photographs that can be found if you look.

Accurate 5547 is not meant to be used in muzzle loaders.
It might not be on the web sight, because Accurate powdewrs was bought out by Horady Family a couple years ago.Hornady might have discontinued it.
Dave

If there ever was a thread that needed shut down, this is it! OP can't even get the powder name right, let alone define his question in any rational way. Cold hammer forging has no bearing on the strength of the steel. Confusing loading black powder cartridges with front stuffers. Nothing good can come from this!

Black powder or black powder substitutes are designed for muzzleloaders only! Smokeless powder in a muzzleloader is a surefire way to meet your maker and possibly take those nearby with you. NO EXCEPTIONS!

5744 is meant to be used in metallic cartridges and is Not a Muzzleloading propellant. It works great in older straight wall and tapered cartridges like 32-40, 38-55 and so forth. 5744 is still available when in stock at close to 50 bucks a pound, I think Hodgdon had bought them out, yes the same company that dropped GOEX.

I'm not suggesting using smokeless in a traditional ML. But as a point of discussion having been in the military and around all kinds of FA for 6+ decades it just seems that the Barrel steel in sidelocks should be up to the task by now if only to side step the Marxist restrictions in such states as CA. It's glib to suggest "just move". I'm just look for discussion as to " why not" better steel up to the task instead of never. I live on a shoestring here behind the iron curtain in SoCal. The nearest "holy black" is over 100 miles from me and I can't afford to buy the minimum bulk shipment of 50lbs which is far and away illegal on multiple fronts especially in CA. And as a over the road driver I don't have time to spend my one day off driving 200 + miles for a 2lb limit retail. So please get off your purist high horse and try to understand I'm just looking for options that should be there in this day and age.

RB I feel for your problems with silly laws , I live in New Zealand which has many stupid firearm ownership and use laws , much much stricter than in the USA , even in California , we just comply , grit our teeth and get on with it .
Cold Hammer Forging barrels needs very large numbers of barrels to be made to be economic , Mandrels are very expensive to make and the cost of longer ones needed for ML barrels would be prohibitive , it would be very expensive and difficult to make a 40" mandrel . When you consider many ML barrels are 1" or more across the flats , it would take a very large blank and a very powerful hammer to do the forging and still leave enough metal around the bore to enable the flats to be machined out . Just not practical and probably not possible.
There many nitro powders which are safe to use in former black powder cartridges in modern made firearms , but there are no nitro ( smokeless) powders made to be safe to use in muzzle loading firearms of any type . "

Now that I can understand. But research should be neverending for those with the wherewithal.

Black powder or black powder substitutes are designed for muzzleloaders only! Smokeless powder in a muzzleloader is a surefire way to meet your maker and possibly take those nearby with you. NO EXCEPTIONS!
Real gunpowder and the subs work great in many cartridge guns as well.

Back