• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel Marking Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need help with understanding the markings(stamps) on the barrel of this 1860 tower gun.

Attachments

• 20210115_145805.jpg
    20210115_145805.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 20210112_151220.jpg
    20210112_151220.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 144
  • 20210112_150004.jpg
    20210112_150004.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 20210112_150025.jpg
    20210112_150025.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 142
  • 20210112_150137.jpg
    20210112_150137.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 20210112_145029.jpg
    20210112_145029.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 20210112_145739.jpg
    20210112_145739.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 130
JR, welcome. I think there will be someone here to help you with the proper ID. Bu in the mean time can you give us some stats, like barrel length, caliber and maybe how you came to own it. This is just a guess without any more info and suggest it is an Enfield.

JR, welcome. I think there will be someone here to help you with the proper ID. Bu in the mean time can you give us some stats, like barrel length, caliber and maybe how you came to own it. This is just a guess without any more info and suggest it is an Enfield.
the barrel length is 33in.
don't know caliber. smaller than 10ga.
bought it on a online estate auction they were saying it was a 22long rifle black powder rifle

The barrel was made by Beasely Brothers, famed London jobbing makers of gun components. The gun was made after 1860 from the dated lock [VR = Victoria Regina - came to the throne in 1837] and is a percussion arm. The Tower mark on the lock shows that it was a military issue arm, but as you have not told us the calibre. We need a bit more accurate reading than 'smaller than 10 gauge' - so pro tem it must be assumed to be the usual .577 calibre of British infantry long arms of the period.

More photos are needed - how many barrel bands are there? Full-length photos are helpful here.

I note that in your profile you call it a rifle, but it is now a gun, implying that it is smooth-bored. I can't see any sights, either, which I would have expected to have seen on a rifle. What part of the world are you in?

bought it on a online estate auction they were saying it was a 22long rifle black powder rifle

It's always heartening to read the comments of experts in their particular field of interest.

However, this is not one of them.

The barrel was made by Beasely Brothers, famed London jobbing makers of gun components. The gun was made after 1860 from the dated lock [VR = Victoria Regina - came to the throne in 1837] and is a percussion arm. The Tower mark on the lock shows that it was a military
issue arm, but as you have not told us the calibre. We need a bit more accurate reading than 'smaller than 10 gauge' - it must be assumed to be the usual .577 calibre of British infantry long arms of the period.

It just MIGHT be Brunswick rifle, but without more pics it's impossible to say.

More photos are needed - is the barrel held on with tenons or bands, and if the latter, how many?

I note that in your profile you call it a rifle, but it is now a gun, implying that it is smooth-bored. What part of the world are you in?
my own . I have a 10ga double barrel black powder shotgun. not knowing the calibre I placed a 10ga wad over the barrel it was to big. my other rifles are 50 cal. I do have some 54 cal. bullets they were too small I did find some info that lead me to believe it is a. .577 cal. I would say it is a smooth bore for I see no rifling. I do not have any kind of gauge to measure the bore I thought maybe the markings meant something to tell of caliber . it has two bands and a screw . I think I got the rust out and cleaned it enough to test fire it when I get time . the barrel rang like a bell when I hung it by it self from a string. don't know if I will kept it after I shoot it but it is history if it was built in 1860. I just finished having a 120 + year old barn restored on my farm because it is history ,so maybe I will add this to my collection of history items

Attachments

• 16108303816121267010997.jpg
    16108303816121267010997.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 122
  • 1610832355051144179963.jpg
    1610832355051144179963.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 124
Well, THAT's a turn-up for the books! It's a two band - correctly called a 'short rifle' - Enfield rifle in .577cal. The British never called the Enfield rifles .58cal. It shoots the 535gr Minié bullet over 2.5 drams of Fine Rifle Powder - about 68gr. It is most likely STILL a rifle, as the grooves are very shallow, and it might respond to a thorough clean INSIDE the barrel, NOT outside. It has the excellent sight fitted to these high-quality rifles. I'll be honest and admit that I've never encountered a two-band rifle in the context of the ACW, but then, since we don't know what country you live it, perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions. Your syntax suggest that English is not your first language - NOT by way of criticism, nor is mine!

So PLEASE DO NOT try and clean it up - if you live in the USA it is a distinctly rare piece, made with a barrel by one of the best of the English contractors of the day. Here in UK such a gun would be around $1500 - 1800.

The barrel was made by Beasely Brothers, famed London jobbing makers of gun components. The gun was made after 1860 from the dated lock [VR = Victoria Regina - came to the throne in 1837] and is a percussion arm. The Tower mark on the lock shows that it was a military issue arm, but as you have not told us the calibre. We need a bit more accurate reading than 'smaller than 10 gauge' - so pro tem it must be assumed to be the usual .577 calibre of British infantry long arms of the period.

More photos are needed - how many barrel bands are there? Full-length photos are helpful here.

I note that in your profile you call it a rifle, but it is now a gun, implying that it is smooth-bored. I can't see any sights, either, which I would have expected to have seen on a rifle. What part of the world are you in?

USA. Carmel, Indiana

thanks for all the information you people gave me on this rifle, very helpful. not sure what I will do with it now . no I won't try to clean it, only tried to get some rust out of the barrel and put oil down the barrel to help stop more rust.the furniture looks to me like someone else put a clear coat varnish on it with out doing anything else. love to shot it but won't now.
thanks again

Hi John, As Tom says "It's what we call a Two Band". Is the Bayonet Lugg on the barrel or on the Barrel Band? It's not too clear on your photo. If the bore cleans up well and still has it's .577 rifling it should shoot like a Dream and could be a match winner of pretty high value. Plenty of help with Bullets and Bullet moulds here in UK from MLAGB members as it's our GO TO Rifle for target shooting at Club and National level.. OLD DOG..

Well, THAT's a turn-up for the books! It's a two band - correctly called a 'short rifle' - Enfield rifle in .577cal. The British never called the Enfield rifles .58cal. It shoots the 535gr Minié bullet over 2.5 drams of Fine Rifle Powder - about 68gr. It is most likely STILL a rifle, as the grooves are very shallow, and it might respond to a thorough clean INSIDE the barrel, NOT outside. It has the excellent sight fitted to these high-quality rifles. I'll be honest and admit that I've never encountered a two-band rifle in the context of the ACW, but then, since we don't know what country you live it, perhaps I'm jumping to conclusions. Your syntax suggest that English is not your first language - NOT by way of criticism, nor is mine!

So PLEASE DO NOT try and clean it up - if you live in the USA it is a distinctly rare piece, made with a barrel by one of the best of the English contractors of the day. Here in UK such a gun would be around $1500 - 1800.
The British contributors have nailed this gun down for you. Although both the 3-banded and 2-banded versions were heavily imported into both the North and South in our Civil War, they were "commercially made". You would then see British commercial proof marks on the barrel. Just GOOGLE search Pattern 1853 Enfield Rifle for lots more info. I have the commercial (Greener) two banded version with the bayonet lug on the barrel (P58 model?) and used to fire it frequently with commercial ".58 Minie balls" and 70 grains od black powder.

Back