• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Barrel lug

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have any of gents used JB weld to fill a hole in a Barrel lug so the hole could redrilled,I’m thinking it would save a whole bunch of work .I would appreciate your in put.walt

I think it's too soft, the drill will pull into the filled hole if it's close to the filled hole. You might be able to put a thin piece of steel on drill side of the lug and use the new hole in it to bush the drill and keep it from wandering all the way into the old hole but you better go slow and easy once you get through the new piece or the small drill will break when it's catching part of the old hole. New lugs aren't too expensive, even with shipping, I would probably go that route if the old hole was close enough to risk the new hole touching it.

One time I used aluminum angle bought from Lowes to make lugs. While not HC, it worked well. A 3ft. piece will make a lot of lugs.

The answer is no.

Not enough surface area for the JB Weld to hold onto.

If you're trying to go to a smaller pin, try peening the edges of the hole on both sides.

This will reduce the size of the hole.

Then clean the hole up with a drill bit and insert the smaller pin.

Have any of gents used JB weld to fill a hole in a Barrel lug so the hole could redrilled,I’m thinking it would save a whole bunch of work .I would appreciate your in put.walt
I did it. I goofed up on my Kibler SMR, on the two breach end lugs. I was elongating the drilled pin holes just as Jim does in his video. It was my first time using a jewelers saw, and I didn’t realize at first how fast it was cutting. So rather than just elongating the hole, I enlarged them too much for my liking. I ordered a couple underlugs, so I can replace. However, I wanted to get this rifle together so I figured I had nothing to lose.
I filled it with JB, filed flat when cured, and re-drilled the holes. I figured I’d check how they’ve held up after a few hundred shots.

. It was my first time using a jewelers saw, and I didn’t realize at first how fast it was cutting. So rather than just elongating the hole, I enlarged them too much for my liking.

Probably not a problem making them too long if you going in the lengthwise direction.

I've seen several posts that made it seem that pin holes were being filed vertically??

I fixed a poorly drilled trigger guard lug by drilling out the hole and taping it for a brass screw, I used solder paste on the screw to make sure it stayed put. I suspect the same fix would work on an underlug if you used a steel screw.

lug plugging.JPG

An out of focus picture but you can see the finished patch.

lug patch cleaned up.JPG

Probably not a problem making them too long if you going in the lengthwise direction.

I've seen several posts that made it seem that pin holes were being filed vertically??
Well this was too big of a hole. Not just elongated, but vertical as well. With the stock on, I had movement when I squeezed the barrel and stock. I figured I had nothing to lose, being that the stock is supported by the barrel. Not the other way around.

Latest posts

Back