• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Barrel loops

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a couple of traits that have stood in my way most of my life. I’m cheap and lazy. This time cheap wins, I need to install barrel loops so I made a couple after filing in the dovetails for this pistol. Folding the brass and a bit of silver solder formed them then a bit of file work till they fit the dovetails. Over an hour and a half but it took no cash! To me that’s better then shopping the internet and waiting to see if I got what needed a week or more later. Add impatient to that list of short comings. :rolleyes:
B179DD81-459D-48D4-9A39-A28C1B1759E5 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

I like to think I’m skilled when I make my own sights, underlugs, barrel jets, triggers, sideplates, thimbles, nosecaps, and sometimes, buttplates. Cheap is closer to the truth!
You could very well be cheap, (you say, not me) but don't cut yourself short on skills. Most of us on the forum already know the real story. 🤙
Larry

I have a couple of traits that have stood in my way most of my life. I’m cheap and lazy. This time cheap wins, I need to install barrel loops so I made a couple after filing in the dovetails for this pistol. Folding the brass and a bit of silver solder formed them then a bit of file work till they fit the dovetails. Over an hour and a half but it took no cash! To me that’s better then shopping the internet and waiting to see if I got what needed a week or more later. Add impatient to that list of short comings. :rolleyes:
B179DD81-459D-48D4-9A39-A28C1B1759E5 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
Good! Like that handle on the file, too!

I think it is great that other people have the skill to make things the way I like them! There is nothing better in life than being able to afford "staff' to handle what ever mundane task come your way and know they will be done well!:ghostly:

Great job Phil. Nice work.

I wouldn't say "cheap". That has negative connotations. Cheap is a guy that won't go to the doctor or dentist because of the cost and winds up paying a LOT more down the road due to the consequences. A guy that doesn't tip the waiter and winds up with slashed tires.

I would say you are resourceful, self-sufficient, tenacious, clever, ambitious, and uncompromising in your quest for acceptable results.

Easy fix! Oil Can! Eat more beans! That'll lube you up, with the side benefit of providing self-propulsion!

Does Lincoln groan when you pinch pennies? Does it take George Washington 5 minutes to adjust to the light coming out of your wallet?

No sir that's not being cheap that's Skills! I make my own underlugs just like that and I find it to be very gratifying even though nobody but me will ever see them!

i always compare the time spent making something like this, and the time spent doing something else, like watching the boob tube.
the satisfaction in creating those loops would far out weigh the irritation received via the boob tube.
hope this makes some semblance of sense, bad day in deerstalkers brain cavity.

My wife said that I still think in the prices of the 60s and bark on tree isn’t as tight. If the TV hadn’t been invented then a few more shooting iron would be fixed by now.

So is this a left hand or right hand gun?
1670003598917.jpeg

I sometimes made bbl lugs for keys out of shallow "U" shaped lengths of nails then drilled 2 shallow holes in the bbl. The legs of the" lugs" had grooves filed in and when the lugs are in the holes, bbl metal is peened into the grooves. For pinned bbls, dovetailed lugs were used as well as for lugs for keys....depended on how I felt......both work well. No longer build MLers because of poor eyesight.....Fred

Nothing wrong with be thrifty, just adapted an engine to fix my deceased log splitter rather than by a new one. Have you got a proper "Scotsman's wallet" Phil? That's the kind that Velcro's shut so that you have to rip it open and it screams when you do.
You are both too kind, but the folks that know me say I squeak when I walk.

Latest posts

Back