• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Va.Manuf.06 said:
Twice boom said:
Dynamics/Law of Physics and I stand by what is obvious..

Twice.

I still don't understand where you are getting that? :nono: Have you ever studied physics?

The long barrels used in the period and many of the currently produced barrels today weigh less than or the same as the short barrels in use 150 years ago and especially less than the modern barrels commonly found today. While the length is longer, the center of gravity is in the same place or even further back than the short gun - the swing on the lighter, better balanced gun is just as easy or in fact, even easier than 2 Booms ralizes.

I would love to be on site for the shooting match Brother Twice Boom has challenged Mike to, I think he would be shocked. Especially since he will be shooting against such a youngster with so little experience..... :rotf:

I don't think brother 2 Booms will be shocked by your shooting prowess.

And.

Don’t put words in my mouth, please. Mike and I will have plenty of challenges competing with Mr. Grouse in a course of the days hunt to worry about competing against each other.

But.

You are more than welcome to show up at Friendship for little shoot ,if you want to show someone up, I’m your huckleberry, old or not.

The problem with your thinking is that you are thinking with one side of your brain and while lightness of a Barrel does play part in the guns dynamics the length of the barrel and the large swing arc it makes plays a bigger part than just the mere weight.

Just for the sake of this discussion. Get yourself a piece a paper, a 30” rod attach a pencil at the 20” mark then another at the end of that rod. Now drive a small nail at the but of the rod . Now make an arc then measure the distance between the two arcs. Then come back and tell us what the distance difference were in inches between the two.

And by the way, if you can make a long barrel gun light you can make a short barreled one just as light or lighter. Little physics for you..

Thanks for the one sided Physics lesson.

Twice.

Can we just agree the best length would be twices choice if the OP wants an 1850 double cap gun and whatever the style calls for on any other kind of arm? ......... And no matter what the arm (unless its a swan or duck piece) a 38
-42" will not be a BAD choice.

Man the smack talk is heavy today. :rotf:

I'll be teaching a gun building class while at Friendship, going to be no time for shooting. I shot alot of skeet in the 80's and 90's at F-ship, we probably know each other and have many people in common. You have probably been smoked by one of my flint doubles down there more than once. :haha:
Beating me would be no great accomplishment, I haven't been on a skeet field in 10 years or more.
If I gert my HV fowler built with the 72" barrel before then I 'll send it to the skeet range with you so you can wring it out for me. :haha:

Capt. Jas. said:
Man the smack talk is heavy today.

Yes...but we've seen it before...goes hand in hand with the occasional prolific poster who shows up at the MLF who already knows everything...maybe we just aren't hearing him correctly.

roundball said:
Capt. Jas. said:
Man the smack talk is heavy today.

Yes...but we've seen it before...goes hand in hand with the occasional prolific poster who shows up at the MLF who already knows everything...maybe we just aren't hearing him correctly.
Yep, that ol' 2X Boom is a rascal ain't he? :haha:

Capt. Jas. said:
Can we just agree the best length would be twices choice if the OP wants an 1850 double cap gun and whatever the style calls for on any other kind of arm? ......... And no matter what the arm (unless its a swan or duck piece) a 38
-42" will not be a BAD choice.

Man the smack talk is heavy today. :rotf:

Just as long as you aren't saying it's the best Dynamic choice.Beisdes I already said he should buy for the period he wants to represent. :thumbsup:
Twice.

Mike Brooks said:
I'll be teaching a gun building class while at Friendship, going to be no time for shooting. I shot alot of skeet in the 80's and 90's at F-ship, we probably know each other and have many people in common. You have probably been smoked by one of my flint doubles down there more than once. :haha:
Beating me would be no great accomplishment, I haven't been on a skeet field in 10 years or more.
If I gert my HV fowler built with the 72" barrel before then I 'll send it to the skeet range with you so you can wring it out for me. :haha:

The boys at Friendship know what I know and don't compete with flinters against cap guns unless its just a fun shoot. The flinters have their own class. And them boys are good. :thumbsup:

Yep,probably know you ,just can't place faces with names. and if you were giving a class on double cap guns I'd probably sign up for your class. Get'r build in time and I'll break her in for you since your work load will prevent me from breaking you in of the fine art of shooting.... :haha:

Twice.

"Just for the sake of this discussion. Get yourself a piece a paper, a 30” rod attach a pencil at the 20” mark then another at the end of that rod. Now drive a small nail at the but of the rod . Now make an arc then measure the distance between the two arcs. Then come back and tell us what the distance difference were in inches between the two."
All that will show is that the pencil at 30" moves 1/3 feet per second faster than the one at 20". Unless your rod is a piece of pasta, cooked al dente, then there will be some lag time at the 30" point.
Robby

Robby said:
"Just for the sake of this discussion. Get yourself a piece a paper, a 30” rod attach a pencil at the 20” mark then another at the end of that rod. Now drive a small nail at the but of the rod . Now make an arc then measure the distance between the two arcs. Then come back and tell us what the distance difference were in inches between the two."
All that will show is that the pencil at 30" moves 1/3 feet per second faster than the one at 20". Unless your rod is a piece of pasta, cooked al dente, then there will be some lag time at the 30" point.
Robby

Robby. You were suppose to measure the arc distance between the two points. Of course the furthest point will have to travel at a one third faster to travel the same distance as the shorter arc to arrive at the same point..
I don’t know how old you are or even if you have roller skated .When we were kids every Friday night we were at the skating rink -looking for chicks-- :wink: while there we used to play a game-the name e escapes me. We’d get six or seven guys holding to each other and spin the most outer guys in a circle .You were good if you were the second or third out from the center and usually could keep up with the most center guy, the rest of the guys would fall on their butts trying to keep up with the guy in the center .
Get it now? In other words the most outer guys were exerting more effort and were much slower at what was required of them as the first two or three of what was required of them because they were traveling at a much smaller arc. Same principle in physics and or Dynamics apply to barrel lengths on guns. Fact..

Twice.

Both your analogy's are wrong. The end of the barrel is there with the midsection of the barrel, it gets a free ride. The force required to put the middle of the barrel on target, is the same as putting the end of the barrel on target, they both arrive there at the same time. Get it! I'm old.
Robby

Robby said:
Both your analogy's are wrong. The end of the barrel is there with the midsection of the barrel, it gets a free ride. The force required to put the middle of the barrel on target, is the same as putting the end of the barrel on target, they both arrive there at the same time. Get it! I'm old.
Robby

. Not wrong it all.

The longer barreled gun has to travel at a much greater arc and has to swing much faster to catch up with a crossing bird as the shorter barrel does ,the thirty inch rod proved it for you and if the 20 inch mark was not attached to the 30 inch rod it would have gotten at the end of the allowable arc much faster than the 30" rods arc . The only reason why they got there at the same time is because the 20" pencil is held back from traveling faster with in it's shorter arc :wink: by being attached to the same rod.
Now go back and measure the distance between the two arcs Like I asked from the beginning and tell us what those distances are ,then explain for the board how an object can travel at a longer distance by the same force that propels the one that has to travel the shorter distance.
And don't feel ashamed to apologise.

Twice

Robby said:
I already broke one of my own personal rules. Never argue with concrete.
Robby

Yea tipical reaction when you are not man enough to say you been proven wrong. Concrete it is then.
Thanks,
Twice.

Digweed as you know is a great shot with anything but if those 34 and 36 inch barrels put him at a disadvantage he would shoot candy a$$ 28's :thumbsup:

Are you sure you are discussing the term "dynamics"? It's really a great deal of location of weight involved as well and that seems to be overlooked.

Capt. Jas. said:
Digweed as you know is a great shot with anything but if those 34 and 36 inch barrels put him at a disadvantage he would shoot candy a$$ 28's :thumbsup:

Are you sure you are discussing the term "dynamics"? It's really a great deal of location of weight involved as well and that seems to be overlooked.

Yes Digweed is a great shot. The differences between a dude on a SC pad with pre mounted gun calling for the bird when he is good and ready with a know flight pattern the called bird will take is quite different from the unknown angle the bird will take in his flight to safety along with the element of surprise and the position one happens to be in when trying to mount,align,catch up and drop the hammer i9n the midst of brambles and wild rose flora. .

No one has overlooked what part weight plays in the guns dynamics. What ever weight you can add or reduce with a long barreled gun ,you can do the same with a shorter one . Still ,the longer barrel will have to travel further and will require greater effort than a gun with shorter barrels will travel with less effort. And the main reason why we have guns since the late 18 century and the dynamics the modern gun has today. And unless you guys can come up with yet another miscalculated though with a different twist,I'm going to take a rest from this one.
Twice.

Somehow I bet you won't. :grin:

Mounted gun huh?
Someone create this "dude" a capgun smoothbore forum :v :thumbsup:

Shoot much sporting?

Shoot much sporting?

Enough to have a dedicated gun for it. :wink:
And yes they do shoot with pre mounted guns since the rules been changed. And they call for the birds and know which way and how they going to fly..Fact.
Twice.

One thing I believe we can all agree on is that we don't use these archaic weapons - caplock, flintlock, bow & arrows, atlatl, spear, bola, or thrown rock - because they are the most effective available. We charcoal burners are an odd breed, and then it's just a matter of direction and degree. Yes?

That being said, the rest is just noise. Use what you like, get as good with it as you can, and let the next guy do the same.
:v

Back