• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel length?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built a .54 cal. flintlock rifle, with a 32” barrel, in 1976. Most of my firearm deer have been taken with that rifle. It’s very handy and light. A few years ago, I built another .54 York County style, with a 48” swamped barrel, that looks and balances like a longrifle should. The deer that I have killed with that rifle are somehow special. The long barreled gun feels elegant and makes me think about Hawkeye, Davy Crocket, and Daniel Boone. I don’t feel like the long barrel gets in the way, and it’s also the perfect length to lean on as I stand and wait for deer to show.

My first build was a 37" barrel 54 caliber, based on Edward Marshall rifle. This is my first traditional muzzleloader, so seems very long to me! I just ordered my second which will be a York style in 40 caliber and has a 42" pipe. I just realized I'm going to need to get a longer range rod!!!

56"? Wow. I've got barrel envy now. Who made it? I imagine there was something of a wait for it too. I'm looking for another project for the "some time down the road" time.

Long barrels certainly don't "get in the way", or are hard to handle in the thick stuff. I've had to argue that for years about muzzle loaders, modern hunting rifles, and military rifles, vintage or modern.

Back