• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel length for halfstock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every time I dig that long halfstock out of the pile and handle it, it always seems sorta cockeyed. Once in a while I get tempted to cut the barrel down. Never will.

This seems to be an appropriate time to ask a couple of questions I have been wondering about.
Why were long rifles fully stocked, when it seems to be so much simpler to have a half stock?
In some of the half stock pictures above, what is the function of the rib other than to hold the ramrod thimbles? The rifle immediately above doesn’t have one and the thimbles are attached direct to the barrel.

I would like to know that too, and if there were dates associated with those.

For fully stocked, I would think it had to do with carrying it and not holding the metal it being cold or hot.

As far as the rib under the barrel, again you can tell the orientation of the stock by holding the the barrel and feeling the rib. Then you would know where you are gripping the rifle as well in the dark as in the light. Gives an easy spot for soldering without heating the entire barrel up.

Full stock reasoning; It may be as simple a reason as that was the style of the times. Or, a half-stock requires a rib attached to a barrel, and that was just as much work to install as a full stock, and requires different skills. A half-stock certainly requires less wood than the full stock though. Between the two (above) plausibilities I would lean to the simplest though. Just a matter of the styles of the times.

Back