• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel Length for a Fusil De Chasse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogfood

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,
At long last, I am pursuing Fusil de Chasse. I've been eyeing the one offered TVM Natchez and they do 42"bbls and 36"bbls.
I'm 5'11 but slight of build. I know Fusils de Chasse are supposed to be quite light to begin with but I would be interest in your opinions pros and cons in general between the two barrel lengths.
I understand that there is a better side radius and more efficient powder burn in the longer barrel, l but that's about it.
And if weighing in about my stature is relevant, please do let me know.
Thanks, fellas,
-dgfd

My Fusil de Chasse has the longer barrel and is my favorite squirrel gun. I'm 6' tall on the big side 😆 and have no trouble with the gun outdoors. Indoors, storage and transporting can be challenging though. I accept this because these guns originally were very long. However, I've often thought I would like to have a fowler with a shorter barrel.

Most of the original French trade guns had barrel lengths from around 46" to over 51".

Modern shooters are used to shooting cartridge guns with short barrels. A modern rifle with a 24" barrel is a long barrel. Modern shotguns often have barrels less than 30" in length. So there is a natural bias towards guns with shorter barrels. A muzzleloader with a 46" barrel just looks and feels odd to some shooters today.

If you are one of these type shooters, you would probably be happier with the shorter barrel.

If you want some level of historical correctness, you would probably lean towards the longer barrel, though the 42" barrel is still short by about 4".

From the reading I've done (Russel Bouchard, Kevin Gladysz) barrels on the Tulle model fusil de chasse should be approximately 44" long and equivalent to modern 20 ga (.62 caliber) Originals were stocked in walnut (J regia) but American black walnut (J negra) can be substituted. Just stain it real dark, and you'll have to examine the stock closely to see which species of walnut the stock is made from.;)

I'm 5"6" and shoot a TOW fusil de chasse with 44" inch barrel and have no issues in shooting it.

My Indian made FDC has the 44 inch barrel and carries nicely in the woods though it weighs a pound or so more than some originals.
the barrel gives a nice sight picture without a rear sight.
LBL

Mine has a 44" barrel. I really like it for hunting. Plmeek has a good point. Modern shooters have gotten accustomed to shorter barrels. Look at all the old 'long rifles'. Some are very long. My fusil took some getting used to but now I like it.

My CenterMark is a 36”, which I like a lot. Easier loading, easier transportation in modern vehicles, etc.

It depends somewhat on how a person hunts. If you're old like me, long treks where a long barrel is not a handicap are a thing of the past. I drive around in my truck with my gun or rifle muzzle down on the floorboard until I see something that's worth getting out of the truck to look at. A short barrel makes all of this getting in and out a lot easier. I call it trolling for game but that's the way it is during the "golden years".

Hi all,
At long last, I am pursuing Fusil de Chasse. I've been eyeing the one offered TVM Natchez and they do 42"bbls and 36"bbls.
I'm 5'11 but slight of build. I know Fusils de Chasse are supposed to be quite light to begin with but I would be interest in your opinions pros and cons in general between the two barrel lengths.
I understand that there is a better side radius and more efficient powder burn in the longer barrel, l but that's about it.
And if weighing in about my stature is relevant, please do let me know.
Thanks, fellas,
-dgfd
I don’t think the TVM Natchez is a Fusil de Chase...the gun they call the Tulle is the Fusil.

Unless I'm mistaken.

...at any rate, the Fusil that I purchased from TVM is one of my favorite firearms. Curly maple stock...wonderful gun.

I am looking to purchase a Fusil de Chasse, and am looking for input on best one to get. I have been looking closely at kits from Sitting Fox, the barrels are 42" long.

For those who have experience with the fusil de chasse, what company would you recommend? How is Sitting Fox to work with?

Any input is appreciated.

Mine came from Loyalist Arms originally (I think). I purchased it from a reenactor. It is an import possibly from India. It has a very good lock which has never failed when I do my part correctly. It's nothing special, just a well built gun that didn't break the bank and has shot a lot of squirrels and paper targets. Its a Fusil de Chasse with a 44" barrel in .62 caliber.

My favorite load is 65 gr of 2f or 3f (can't tell any difference when hunting), wadding of wasp nest over powder, 65 gr of #6 shot, then over shot wadding of wasp nest. I prime with same powder.

I am looking to purchase a Fusil de Chasse, and am looking for input on best one to get. I have been looking closely at kits from Sitting Fox, the barrels are 42" long.

For those who have experience with the fusil de chasse, what company would you recommend? How is Sitting Fox to work with?

Any input is appreciated.
If you just want a game getting shooter, I'm sure the Sitting Fox will be just fine. However, if you're looking for a little more accurate reproduction, the best you can do is the Track of the Wolf parts set with the 44" Coleraine 20 ga. barrel

If you really want the next best thing to the genuine 300 year old article, then Alex Efremenko is your guy. He's a member here.

Thank you to all for replies, you are giving me the information I am looking for.
Another question is level of difficulty of building a kit from those companies listed above. I am not an experienced gun builder. On a scale of one to ten. With ten being high where would you rate the fusil de chasse from Sitting Fox and TOW?

I’ve had tracks North west gun kit and was very happy with the quality, the gun ended up being to short for my taste, something I didn’t expect till I had it done.
ive alwats been real happy with Track of the Wolf and their TFC with a 44” barrel will be closer. Mine is a Centermark and has several problems but it is my favorite gun.
I was real happy with Sitting Fox,but their TFC is closer to my inaccurate one then Tracks that is closer to the originals
For the price go with either one, for historic accuracy go with track, for the best go with a custom built

Latest posts

Back