• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel length for a .32 precussion pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Water Bug

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I plan to make a "LePage" style single shot side lock, Percussion 1/2 stock pistol in .32 caliber. The OD will be 3/4" Octagon. I like the look of a "longer" barrel. What length should I make? Does it make any difference in accuracy? Thanks for any suggestions. WB

Any gains in accuracy have more to do with the length of the sight radius than with the length of the barrel per se. I would mount the rear sight as far back on the barrel or even the tang to maximize the sight radius.

I have one with a standard 10" barrel and one with a 13 1/2" barrel and bench shot both. I see no difference except the longer sight radius.

Thank you for the responses, I will go by what looks right, and try and get the largest sight radius I can. Any suggestions for sights? I have rather old eyes.
Blade front? Buck horn rear ? --- Thanks.

I would copy Pedersoli or other makers of LePage pistols, seems that they have done their homework for historical accuracy.

I think that barrel length on such a pistol should depend on balance. As FishDFly says, other makers have probably figured that/those things out, and that may be the reason your typical LePage has a certain, or within a certain, length range. You have the option of mocking the gun up with an extra long barrel, then cutting it down an inch at a time, until you find the perfect balance for you.

I think a full buckhorn rear sight, and silver blade front sight would be cool on such a pistol.

I'd love to have a LePage in .36", I think it would be an ideal (or maximum cool factor) small game and grouse gun, when big game hunting.

Something else, a half octagon, half round barrel would take some weight off the muzzle end, and allow a slightly longer barrel and good balance.

Interesting concept, but why was it not done on the originals if it was a good idea?

Only thing you can ruin is a barrel in trying out your thoughts and time if you are not happy.

May not be a good idea...:)....just a way to get a longer barrel without getting too muzzle heavy. What is the normal barrel length on a LePage? If it's 10" as LeverFred says, that seems more than long enough, depending on how one defines "enough". I wouldn't want any more than the 8" of barrel on my Plains Pistol, but that's a big old hunk of 15/16". On the other hand, a .32" hole through a 3/4" barrel leaves a lot of metal. But I'll say again, it's all about the balance.

Last edited:
FWIW, the Pedersoli .31 & .36 Le Page has a 9 7/8" barrel while the .45 has a 10 1/4" barrel.
That's compared to the Pedersoli Carleton .36 with an 8.5" mostly round barrel.
However, the Carleton rear sight is extended to the rear by what appears to be several inches.
They also have different grips, stock, action, trigger guard and barrel profiles.
A comparison of their overall lengths are 16 3/4" - 16 15/16" for the Le Page vs. 15 3/4" for the Carleton.
Yet, the Carleton is heavier at 2.51 lbs. vs. 2.31 lbs.(.45) & 2.42 lbs. (.36).

Last edited:
THANKS ALL for your thoughts, I have settled on 11" for barrel length. Now I could really use some dimensions of the grip part of the stock. I have enlarged LePage catalog pictures and when the barrel is 3/4" and the lock full size the hand grip of the stock looks "fat". Articap , or someone Please give me dimensions of the Butt stock, Width and thickness in a few places such as near the lock, 1/2 way down , near the flaired part and Please the length and width of the flaired part. Is the flaired part an oval or parallel sided with rounded ends ? Articap: Particular thanks for the dimensions given. I will take a picture or two of the stock blank so far , today, and up load them. WB

Sorry, I don't own one and was using dimensions from the Pedersoli website.
Leverfred owns some, perhaps he can provide some dimensions.
If you left click on his name and then "start a conversation", you can personally ask for his help with measurements.

Articap , Thank you. I will see if any other kind soul answers on this board. If
DSCN0138s.JPG
DSCN0139s.JPG
DSCN0141s.JPG
need be I will try what you suggest. WB

Back