• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lkadams

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi can I get help identifying what cal the barrels are.thanks .

Attachments

• 20200522_181403.jpg
    20200522_181403.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 141
We can't look at the outside of a barrel to tell what caliber it is. Need to measure the inside of the barrel. If you have a drill bit set, that can get you close to the size. Insert a drill bit(non-sharpe end) and see which size fits best.

We can't look at the outside of a barrel to Need to measure the inside of the barrel. If you have a drill bit set, that can get you close to the size. Insert a drill bit(non-sharpe end) and see which size fits

Attachments

• 20200405_192935.jpg
    20200405_192935.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 128
Hi can I get help identifying what cal the barrels are.thanks .
Because these are octagon barrels I can say they are barrels made for muzzleloading rifles.
If you don't have a bunch of large drill bits (most people don't) but you do have a ruler, you can get a good idea of the caliber by eyeballing the size of the bores and comparing it to the graduations on the ruler.

The most common sizes for muzzleloading barrels are .32, .45, .50, .54, and .62.
These sizes would compare with the rulers markings as follows:

.32 = 5/16"
.45 = 7/16"
.50 = 1/2"
.54 = 9/16"
.62 = 5/8"

Most barrels have a small corner break where the bore meets the face of the muzzle. Don't measure the size of the corner break. Measure the bore that is below it.
Also, because the barrels usually have rifling grooves in the bore and with muzzleloading barrels these grooves can be quite deep. The caliber of the barrel is not based on the size of the grooves so don't measure the diameter of the grooves. You want to measure the smaller bore diameter.

Lkadams:
The pistol in your second post is a cartridge gun. We don't talk about cartridge guns on the forum because it is dedicated to old style, traditional muzzleloading guns only.

Lkadams:
The pistol in your second post is a cartridge gun. We don't talk about cartridge guns on the forum because it is dedicated to old style, traditional muzzleloading guns only.
It was a mistake I'm sorry I hit the wrong pic on my gallery

Because these are octagon barrels I can say they are barrels made for muzzleloading rifles.
If you don't have a bunch of large drill bits (most people don't) but you do have a ruler, you can get a good idea of the caliber by eyeballing the size of the bores and comparing it to the graduations on the ruler.

The most common sizes for muzzleloading barrels are .32, .45, .50, .54, and .62.
These sizes would compare with the rulers markings as follows:

.32 = 5/16"
.45 = 7/16"
.50 = 1/2"
.54 = 9/16"
.62 = 5/8"

Most barrels have a small corner break where the bore meets the face of the muzzle. Don't measure the size of the corner break. Measure the bore that is below it.
Also, because the barrels usually have rifling grooves in the bore and with muzzleloading barrels these grooves can be quite deep. The caliber of the barrel is not based on the size of the grooves so don't measure the diameter of the grooves. You want to measure the smaller bore diameter.
Thank you this has been a really big help to me

Back