• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel for handgun question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an old military rifle barrel section that slugs just over .312. It is a fairly fast twist and I can get a little over 12" of useable barrel. Would like to make a single shot. 32 caliber side or under hammer handgun. Is there any reason not to use one of these barrels to make a muzzle loading handgun? Probably a dumb question but when I don't know I ask. Was told no but the guy couldn't explain why not? Thanks for any replys.

I have a 50 cal. custom a guy used a chopped rifle barrel with slower twist, and it works fine. Twist is not that important at pistol range.

From what I have read on here from some of the more knowledgeable oldtimers, a smoothbore pistol is just about as accurate as a rifled one, as long as you use a tight patched ball.

Probably work for light loads.
But the question is why go to the work of making a pistol with a questionable barrel?
ML pistol barrels are readily available.
Chances are this one has a 10-12" twist if its a smokeless era barrel in that caliber.

Dan

As Dan indicated probably ok with light loads. The modern shallow rifling would require a tight load to grip the PRB. A smoothbore might be more accurate than what you propose.

That said, some older cartridge rifling meant for cast lead bullets is satisfactory for making up muzzle loaders. A buddy had a muzzle loader made with a very old .375 centerfire barrel blank that shot great at 25 and 50 yards with light loads. It was intended as strictly an offhand target gun and it worked superbly for that. After more than a century of smokeless powder rifle manufacturing, locating a deep groove centerfire barrel is unlikely.

Therewere some boot pistols or screw in barrel type pistols that used a round barrel. It seems the barrel would be fine for that. Some of us do things that aren't economically viable but we like to tinker around and we learn from the experience.
How about finding a block of usable steel and milling/filing out an action.

Thanks for the replys, information is a wonderful thing. Building Contender handgun barrels taught me that it is possible and practical to have one action that you can swap barrels on. The way muzzle loading single shots are made they lend themselves to that concept. I see where having flats on barrels makes things better. For the time being round will work ok as I go through the learning curve. Things y'all take for granted like depth of grooves and rate of twist are different going from modern to muzzle loaders. I'm thankful you take time to share. As to taking a block of steel and milling an action, yes I have done that as well as taken plates welded them together and made actions for modern ammo guns. Never made a rifled barrel, but have gone through a lot of new blanks and used barrels over the years. I can write volumes on what Not to do and why some short cuts Ain't such a brilliant way to do things. That is why I'm quick to ask dumb questions when I don't know. Thanks again for all replys.

On the other hand I've found rifle muzzle loading barrels to work fine for pistols with heavy loads.
Actually with the slow twist from rifle barrels, the heavier the better I would think. I've made two with rifle barrels and the one I have now is a .54 that shoots great to 50 yards with a .530 or .535 ball, appropriate thickness of patch and 50 grains of 2F goex. Mike D.

Latest posts

Back