• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Barrel fit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUNKS

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi I am new to percussion guns and have a question please. I have an 1835 percussion double shotgun with hook fit barrels. I feel that the barrel fit in the hook is a bit tight, they obviously should not be a loose fit, but how tight should they be? I have blacked the hook and there seems to be no high spots but the barrels have to be forced down is this correct? Thanks.

Hi I am new to percussion guns and have a question please. I have an 1835 percussion double shotgun with hook fit barrels. I feel that the barrel fit in the hook is a bit tight, they obviously should not be a loose fit, but how tight should they be? I have blacked the hook and there seems to be no high spots but the barrels have to be forced down is this correct? Thanks.
There should be mild resistance, but not to the point of 'force'. Check the top of the lugs for resistance and also consider the wood at the rear 3 inches or so. Also check your underlug on the barrel to stock fit. Just ideas, hopefully better minds will offer advice.

Of course I have lubricated the hook. Under lug spears to be a perfect fit. Thanks anyway. I will get it into a gunsmiths.

The resistance comes as soon as the barrels are hooked. When forced down toward the wood it gets easier last bit to seat it Ito the wood is easy.

Use some red lipstick to color the barrels. Insert the barrels in the stock and see where the lipstick is rubbed off the barrels and where the stock is marked. You may be able to remove a very little bit of wood in the stock if the only interference is at the largest diameter of the barrels when they enter the stock.
You may just want to leave it as is if the only interference is when the barrels are started and the final settling is easy.

Thank you but you are obviously talking about a different gun to mine. There is no contact with wood until the barrels settle. It’s just metal to metal at the breach end.

Is the shotgun antique or reproduction ? If it’s antique and has been used quite a bit, then the barrel fit should be fine. If the gun is new, it might be only a matter of settling in.
if you can, pull the standing breech from the stock. Look behind it to see if there is something stuck to the back like a tiny splinter of wood or rust. Check the top of the opening in the breech where the hook makes contact. Try connecting the breech with the barrels off the stock. You might get a small amount of resistance If it is not worn too much. You won’t want any play between the breech and the end of the barrels because of the recoil.
i have a Pedersoli 12 gauge double barrel. It’s been well used and there is still a bit of resistance when dropping the barrels back into the stock. :cool:

The gun was made In1835 but appears to not have had much use. Where it’s been for nearly 200 years is anybody’s guess.

There are several reasons for a tight fit for a hooked breech , the most common is the standing breech at some period the top main screw and the small screw from the trigger guard to the bottom of the standard breech between the slots for the barrel hooks have been tightened too much making the barrels when fitted not square on .
Feltwad

1835 Eh So cant take it back .Most all the suggestions made have merit if knowing Felt Wad Ide consider that if the tang nail is cockeye , not true' North & South' that should indicate its been over tightened and some seem to like to' shuffle their feet ' in.. Point of interest how do you know its 1835 ? There are a lot of good lads in your area , I used to go the Mick Long's a lot . And the' Sharpe's' Armourer Bill Whittlam.s not far away but there getting on ,Are you anywhere Nr Sutton Bonnington ? If so PM me I know a very capable fellow can sort it out .
Cheers Rudyard

Thanks.of course I can’t prove it’s age. It is obviously old, twist barrels .makers name on the action is Sherwood. He was a Portsmouth gunmaker and 1834 was the middle of his trading time. Proof mark is for black powder up to 1850, after which the bore size was added. This gun does not have this. Thanks for the offer I will consider it after the lockdown.

Thanks.of course I can’t prove it’s age. It is obviously old, twist barrels .makers name on the action is Sherwood. He was a Portsmouth gunmaker and 1834 was the middle of his trading time. Proof mark is for black powder up to 1850, after which the bore size was added. This gun does not have this. Thanks for the offer I will consider it after the lockdown.
Hello DUNKS. This difficulty putting barrels in is some times due to the way you are holding them slightly out of line. Check the seats in the Break-off have no rubbish tucked in it. A gun that old should jump together when you whistle.(Like a good faithful OLD DOG).If I can help PM me. I'm in NWLeics. Are you an MLAGB member. If not become one as there's a lot of local help in our area,most using originals. Good NEW YEAR to you and all the rest in MLF. STAY WELL> OLD DOG.

Back