• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Barrel finishing question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Queen Anne pistol kit finally arrived ! :D I have decided to keep the barrel in the white . My question is , how fine of a finish would be best ? I was thinking 0000 steel wool , maybe . :hmm:

I have had the best luck with my locks if I polish to 400 grit. They look funny for a time (too shiney) but they slowly change to a gray that is easy to maintane. It is also very easy to see surface rust, and nip it in the bud.

The finer the polish, the longer it will stay bright. The coarser the polish, the faster it will color. Just like browning or blueing a barrel. If the finish is too fine, it won't take color as well. Daryl's brother Taylor has a 10g bess that he built for himself several years ago and he put an ultra polish on the barrel. After useing it for several years rain and shine, it just wouldn't rust. Still looked just as shiney as the day he built it. He has since browned it. I think he got tired of waiting for it to color naturally.

Cody

:) Thanks guys , 400 grit it will be. :thumbsup:

Remember to keep the polishing "grain" the same direction throughout the whole barrel, if you polish the 400 grit paper lengthwise on the front of the barrel, do the same for the rear...

Otherwise you will end up with crosshatch pattern that looks funky...
wrongsanding.jpg

Back