• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Barrel finish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zonie
That's a fairly narrow temperature band for guy just eyeballing it for the first time with a torch, and wishing his 3rd, 4th, and 5th hands were available. Maybe one of those radiant heat reading thermometer gun looking things would be a good thing to have while doing this.

Zonie
That's a fairly narrow temperature band for guy just eyeballing it for the first time with a torch, and wishing his 3rd, 4th, and 5th hands were available. Maybe one of those radiant heat reading thermometer gun looking things would be a good thing to have while doing this.

I have a laser heat gun. I also have an infrared gun at work that I could borrow.

I have a laser heat gun. I also have an infrared gun at work that I could borrow.
-------------------------------
Their is really zero reason to know anything about temperature. Read the directions, it is a very easy product to use. Clean barrel, heat with a basic propane torch until a few drops of water sizzle off and apply product. It doesn't even require perfect cleanliness as subsequent coats will even out blotchiness. I have used 2 torches initially to speed things up, but use 1 once things get up to temp. Starting on the bottom of the barrel is the obvious thing to do. I don't see how it could copperplate, but I'll take Zonie's word on it because he's not the sort to make things up, but I have never seen it. I only takes about 15 minutes to do. I was probably 15 years old when I first used P. Brown with zero problems, and in my fifties when I last did it, still zero problems. I really don't understand some of these comments.

Excuse my ignorance. Does this look like it is finished well enough? I started out with 2 coats of the cold browning then switched to heating and using plum brown(3 coats). I rinsed with hot water and a soft brush between coats.

opinions please.

Attachments

• 7F309E61-90D1-4417-B901-CFF9086A6FD8.jpeg
    7F309E61-90D1-4417-B901-CFF9086A6FD8.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 042B8576-E83C-44F7-ADD9-393568A817FA.jpeg
    042B8576-E83C-44F7-ADD9-393568A817FA.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 75
Back